We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Murmansk for Christmas on my own! any advise?

Which Murmansk hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 6
Going to Murmansk for Christmas on my own! any advise?

Last christmas i spent in Irkutsk for about 5 days and it was magic, this year i'm thinking of going more north! to Murmansk. i was happy with the -36 in Siberia will it be the same temperature in Murmansk?

12 replies to this topic
NE Victoria...
reviews: 18
11. Re: Going to Murmansk for Christmas on my own! any advise?

Hi Tucker, glad to hear that it's coming along well.

There is only one airport in Murmansk (as far as I know!) and it is quite a way away - easy to get to the city, though. After you collect your luggage, walk out the main doors, straight past the taxi touts and down to the bus shelter in front of the terminal. From memory, there's a bus stop sign - you need routes 106 or K106 (the 106 that we saw was a bus, the K106 that we caught was more like a minibus).

Pay the driver - it should cost around 45 rubles for the trip into town. We gave the name of our hotel to our driver and he obligingly stopped at the stop closest to where we were staying, then gave us directions on how to get to the hotel (those basic Russian lessons came in handy!).

The trip took about 40 minutes into the city centre and was a bit of a milk run, but the scenery was great and we didn't mind at all. We were there in summer, so it was a bit different from being there in the depths of winter - but I can't see why the buses wouldn't be running. We caught a taxi back to the airport from the hotel and it was much more expensive, but only took about 25 minutes going via a different route.

For a map of Murmansk, try http://murmanskguide.com/ and use the interactive one that is on the site.

Hope this helps, have a great time and say hello to Murmansk for me!

St.Petersburg in...
reviews: 17
12. Re: Going to Murmansk for Christmas on my own! any advise?

Murmansk airport http://www.airport-murmansk.ru/en/ is about 25 km south-west from the city. To get from the airport to the city:

- bus # 106, every 20–30 minutes, traveling time about 1 hour.

- minubus # K106, about the same

Reply to: Going to Murmansk for Christmas on my own! any advise?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted