We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxis in moscow

Which Moscow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 33
taxis in moscow

Is hailing a cab in moscow, simple and safe? Can one phone a cab company? Would the cab company speak english?

19 replies to this topic
Palmetto, Florida
reviews: 10
1. Re: taxis in moscow

No, yes, maybe.

Moscow, Russia
2. Re: taxis in moscow

Have you already looked through the FAQ article? tripadvisor.com/Travel-g298484-c70960/Moscow…

Please do.

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
reviews: 34
3. Re: taxis in moscow

When you are arriving at airport there is an official taxi service they speak English too.

They seem to have really cracked down on unlicensed cabs. The licensed yellow variety you have to call email etc.

Btw anybody try the yandex taxi app?

Moscow, Russia
4. Re: taxis in moscow

Yandex Taxi app is good, but it lacks English interface and "taxi driver speaks English" filter option so I'm afraid English-speaking tourists will have little luck wih it.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 33
5. Re: taxis in moscow

thank you all for your replies. Avidclam I did look at the trip advisor FAQ but was rather confused as it did point out that much of the information is given by the transport operators themselves,

Moscow, Russia
6. Re: taxis in moscow

This might be due to the fact that taxi market is not well-regulated yet. So things are a bit chaotic. Communities try to bring in some order. Have a look at this attempt, for example: http://expat.ru/phonedir.php?cid=89

Moscow, Russia
reviews: 169
7. Re: taxis in moscow

> I did look at the trip advisor FAQ but was rather confused as it did point out that much of the information is given by the transport operators themselves

If you look at the article change log, you will see that about once a week a "member since today" adds a line about another taxi company. I used to clean up after them but was hinted that it's not against the TA rules. So I added the disclaimer you are seeing and washed my hands of it.

NE Victoria...
reviews: 18
8. Re: taxis in moscow

>>you will see that about once a week a "member since today" adds a line about another taxi company. I used to clean up after them but was hinted that it's not against the TA rules<<

Considering how strict they are about not allowing self-promotion on the forums, this is crazy. That article really is a mess! Which is a shame because it could be such a useful resource.

Moscow, Russia
reviews: 169
9. Re: taxis in moscow

> Considering how strict they are about not allowing self-promotion on the forums

You've got to be kidding.

NE Victoria...
reviews: 18
10. Re: taxis in moscow

Well, they make a show of it at any rate - which is kind of what I meant. At least they allow members to delete promotional posts and don't hint that it's against the rules to do so!

(Some forums are more efficient at removing these types of posts than others - the UK forums spring to mind. They're a ferocious mob when it comes to that sort of thing.)

Reply to: taxis in moscow
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted