We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Theatre...but not the Bolshoi

Which Moscow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sport Billy - North...
Level Contributor
141 posts
2 reviews
Theatre...but not the Bolshoi

I am visiting Moscow in August and wanted to take in a theatre / ballet performance. I always wanted to go to the Bolshoi but see that it is closed for Summer break.

Please could somebody suggest the "next best" theatre in Moscow, and a link to their website would be great.

2nd question. Does anybody know any good gym near Sportivnaya metro please?

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
1. Re: Theatre...but not the Bolshoi

in August most of Moscow theaters are closed for summer break.

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
2,986 posts
33 reviews
2. Re: Theatre...but not the Bolshoi

Stanislavsky is the next one on the pecking order but likely closed too.

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,503 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: Theatre...but not the Bolshoi

As someone trying to answer the same question for myself, my tentative answer is the Russian Academic Youth Theatre, at Teatralnaya Square. It seems to have ballet performances then, but not yet bookable on line. Anyone have input on that option?

Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
4. Re: Theatre...but not the Bolshoi

Bolshoi theatre ballet in august is on the tour to London to R.O. h. . In Moscow practically all serious teatres are empty in august. The last ballet is Mayerling 28.07. with great dancer Sergei Polunin in Stanislavskiy stage http://www.stanmus.com/tickets.html?did=2805

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
3,019 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: Theatre...but not the Bolshoi

For TFCurves

You may have known this already but in case: the National Gallery of Art in DC is having a nice exhibit on Ballets Russes, a company found by Russian Sergio Diaghilev. He was known for his innovative approaches and collaborations with famous artists, composers, designers into his dancing. It's a visually stunning exhibit. It goes until Oct 6 I believe, and here is a digital brochure on it:

My homegrown version:

6. Re: Theatre...but not the Bolshoi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, July 24, 2014