We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moscow Tulskaya metro station , taxis, safety

Which Moscow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new york city
Moscow Tulskaya metro station , taxis, safety

Hi,

I'm thinking of staying at Azimut hotel (Varshavskoye shosse 9) in early August which is about 10min walk from the Tulskaya metro (which I can't see on the metro map much as I tried, and the Find feature wasn't helping). A few questions:

- Does anyone know how safe it is to walk from the metro stop to the hotel at night for 3 young women- I'm hoping for white nights till 10-11pm, but would be out later as well.

- Does the metro operate 24/7? Is it safe at night?

- Anything special to know about the metro? I can read cyrillics though I don't speak Russian (I can try adding "aya" to Serbian words, that seems to help a lot LOL).

- How far is the hotel from main attractions (Red Sq, Kremlin, etc.) by taxi, and approximately how much (in $ or rubles)?

- Is it safe to walk around at midnight? Does the NY rule of thumb apply in Moscow: if you don't see many people, it's not safe?

- I'm also considering staying at one of the LIke Home Apartments (Paveletskaya or Franzenskaya) but they don't seem to have much track record - how safe are these apartments, and how reliable? I'm a little hesitant to rely on one person who's supposed to give me the key...

Thank you for your help, I appreciate any advice!

Verushka

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
reviews: 3
1. Re: Moscow Tulskaya metro station , taxis, safety

Tulskaya is on grey line one stop out (south) from the Ring Line. To me, looks close to 1 mile hike from hotel, so maybe a bit more than 10 minutes..I found this quite easily using Google, and there are street views...I suggest maybe using this to see what the area is like at least in terms of what the walk might be like.

As for safety, I have found Moscow to be eminently safe, even late at night, but then I am male, and also do follow the rule of avoiding dark alleys, etc. The Metro does not run 7 x 24...shuts down around 1 a.m.

Note, early August, it will not be very light out that late at night. I am over every year first week in July, and as you state, find it still reasonably light (dusky) as late as 10-11... But as with anywhere in the world at this latitude, every day further away from summer solstice (June 21) you loose handful of minutes. You can google daylight hours for Moscow, my guess is maybe somewhat light out til 9:30 or so...

Have never used apartments, so will leave up to others. For sure if not a lot of reviews, referrals, I would not risk it. To me, too much of a crapshoot - there have been some horror stories...

Edited: 7:30 am, June 08, 2013
Moscow, Russia
reviews: 1
2. Re: Moscow Tulskaya metro station , taxis, safety

>> Does anyone know how safe it is to walk from the metro stop to the hotel at night for 3 young women- I'm hoping for white nights till 10-11pm, but would be out later as well.

Tulskaya is ambiguous place. It's near to center of Moscow, but there is a crossroads of some biggest highways in Moscow. There is a lot of cars and traffic anytime. Noise, smoge, industrial.

There are few living houses and a lot of offices.

Personally I don't advise to walk at night because it might be not safe.

I'm a moscovite and I do not like this area.

>> Does the metro operate 24/7? Is it safe at night?

No, metro works from 5 am till 1 am. It is safe at working time

>> Anything special to know about the metro?

Take a printed metro map with Russian and English titles both. Metro have no English titles and you will need to read stations names in Russian.

>> How far is the hotel from main attractions (Red Sq, Kremlin, etc.) by taxi, and approximately how much (in $ or rubles)?

Tulskaya - is on 3 stops from the Red Square and Kremlin. Taxi to Red Square or Kremlin cost around 450-700 roubles ($15 - $23).

>> Is it safe to walk around at midnight? Does the NY rule of thumb apply in Moscow: if you don't see many people, it's not safe?

Center of Moscow is very safety place even at night. But don't walk on dark streets and the outskirts of Moscow at night. And don't use a gipsy taxi - it's not safe.

>> I'm also considering staying at one of the LIke Home Apartments (Paveletskaya or Franzenskaya) but they don't seem to have much track record - how safe are these apartments, and how reliable? I'm a little hesitant to rely on one person who's supposed to give me the key...

Try out airbnb.com. It's safe and reliable. Also you can try out find an apartment with help of moscow real estate agency, but be ready to 100-200% commission of apartment price.

cheshire
reviews: 25
3. Re: Moscow Tulskaya metro station , taxis, safety

Was in Tulskaya yeterday having lunch in TGIF went for the Danilovsky Market, ot the most exciting area to stay

Moscow, Russia
4. Re: Moscow Tulskaya metro station , taxis, safety

Hi,

Try to find the hotel in the center of Moscow near Kremlin, Arbat or Tverskaya street - or at least inside the "Sadovoe koltso" (the central area of Moscow). It is quite safe there at night if you stay on major squares and avoid dark streets or parks. To be on the safe side , ladies, be accompanied by the men whom you know well and please keep the copies of passport and return tickets for police checks

As far as I remember metro closes near 1 am and opens near 5 am.

Stay away from metro during rush hours from 7am till 12am and from 16 pm till 21pm.

The same with city traffic - it is bad except for sundays- taxi price varies 300-1000 rubles in the center(10-30 USD) and airport trasfer is1000-3000 rubles (30-100 USD) . The center is not that large so you can walk if the weather is fine

Avoid using private apartment services - use central hotels

If you have any questions feel free to mail me

Best Regards

Alex

Edited: 10:22 am, June 18, 2013
Moscow, Russia
5. Re: Moscow Tulskaya metro station , taxis, safety

You can find cheaper hotel not in center but which is very close to the metro station.

There is good hotel near "Partizanskaya" metro station (blue line 15-20 minute ride to center "Ohotniy ryad", "Ploshad Revolutsii" and "Arbatskaya" metro stations ) and there is good hotel near "Sokolniki" metro station (red line - few minutes to the center "Kropotkiskaya", "Ohotnoy ryad" metro stations).

Edited: 11:27 am, June 18, 2013
6. Re: Moscow Tulskaya metro station , taxis, safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, June 20, 2014