We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel ideas

Which Moscow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
lurgan
reviews: 46
Travel ideas

Am going on a package for 2 weeks. Fly to Moscow then a river boat cruise( Dr. Zhivago) to St. Petersburg. A few excursions on the way. Spend time in St. Petersburg for normal tourisy things. Has anybody already done this and could they suggest some advice and tips.

1. Re: Travel ideas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:04 am, June 03, 2005
lurgan
2. Re: Travel ideas

reply to russian tour guide

we like to eat the food of the country. Any suggestions?

We also like to visit some restaurants - not too expensive yet will pay for good food and service. Any suggestions? Could you suggest some places, worth seeing, off the beaten track?

Seattle, WA
reviews: 8
3. Re: Travel ideas

Try Moscow restaurant "Bochka" - ukranian food, very hearty and delicious. Decently priced.

St. Petersburg has a bunch of small restaurants - you'll see them all over, the majority of them are great.

Sorry, can't help with the boat - I took a train...

Hasbrouck Heights...
4. Re: Travel ideas

I am leaving on the dr zhivago on 12 sept 05 - please, please - any advice? how was the boat? food? mosquitos? did you get a diptheria vaccine?

I cannot find any reviews of this riverboat - a reply would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Hasbrouck Heights...
5. Re: Travel ideas

How was your trip? I am leaving on the dr zhivago in 5 days - any advice?

Thanks

lurgan
6. Re: Travel ideas

reply to 521

The boat was fine. Cabins were small. There was a raised small swimming pool but only a few ever used it once. All the different guides use different rooms for to inform their groups. Bar area does not really hold everyone when they attend certain nights. Tatianna was our guide and she was excellent-she was in control. Every thing was methodical and to procedure. There was two restaurants-one on the third deck and one on the fourth deck. The Italians were on the fourth deck and we were on the third. At the restaurant it was suggested that you pick your own table and company. Most tables held six.We found the food satisfactory. The breakfast and lunches were buffet style. You ordered your main course for dinner a day in advance. We would order a bottle of wine from the waiter who came around as a glass of wine was dear.

There was a few functions organised at night. We found that there was great craic with the company as we were with each other for a long time. There was trips laid on along the Volga which divided the time. We flew into St. Petersberg, stayed 1 night in an hotel and then got boat to Moscow.

All in all a great holiday and a great experience as we did not know what to expect and I think that helped the experience.

Sean

Hasbrouck Heights...
7. Re: Travel ideas

Sean,

Thank you for the fast reply - I could not find one comment about the Dr Zhivago - but I have read other comments about people getting very sick - were you ok? Also - was American money accepted everywhere? I am going alone - did you book any private excursions? Were the extra excursions the boat offered expensive? I read you should get a private guide - but have not researched that yet - very spur of the moment trip- who did you book your trip with?

I also have a terrible flight from Moscow to UA - 7 am - I imagine I will have to leave the ship at 4 am - were the transfers ok?

There are 2 afternoons free - and I do not know what to do - or hope to meet other people that might venture out...any sugesstions? - Thanks for your time!

Capri

lurgan
8. Re: Travel ideas

Capri,

We travelled with Cosmos Tourama. The boat is commercially known as the Dr. Zhivago(for tourists) but the name on the boat is Maxim Rylskiy.There was no sickness on the boat. Dollars are accepted everywhere.Some Americans had an early transfer like yourself and that was no problem-the guide was with them. You will have no problem travelling alone as there was quite a few singles on our boat. We flew into St. Petersberg and organised through the concierge a visit to the summer palace in Peterhoff. We then stayed in St. Petersburg to soak in the atmosphere and made our way back to the hotel by metro and bus. We got this information from the hotel and guide who was there. Then we were collected and brought to the boat. The Hotel Pribaltiiskaya is a good distance from the centre of St. Petersburg. Some people arrived at different times from the airport. There was no safety deposit boxes on the boat but the guide kept our passports for registration. Before leaving St. Petersburg we paid to visit an Ballet at 65 euros each. This was the first ballet we were ever at and found it enjoyable and where esle to see a ballet. The Bolshoi in Moscow is being refurbished ansd so would be unavailable.When on the boat we visited Mandrogui, a man made park, Kizhi, Goritsy, Yaroslavl(brought to a ATM) and Uglich. In Moscow the GUM store has an ATM. We did not visit the Circus or the folklore night. Our extra trips were to the Armoury 33 euros each, Metro 20 euros each. We did Moscow by night, which was the same as the day trip, and were able to get into Red Square.The next day we visited the square. It was raining and from 10.00a.m to 1.oop.m. the square is sectioned off to accomodate the queue for Lenins tomb. We were glad to

have visited it at night. It probably would be difficult to organise a guide because in all of the trips guides were supplied. The main guide deals with this. Most of the guides we had were teachers. You will have a great time and become an expert in Russian Orthodox churches and icons. Enjoy

Sean