We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Davao-GenSan roadtrip?

Which Davao City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manila, Philippines
reviews: 1
Davao-GenSan roadtrip?

I'll be visiting Davao next February for a 3d 2n trip.

I'm planning to hop on a bus and have a daytime road trip to GenSan. Somebody told me that its around 3 hours long. My questions are:

1) Is the route safe (I don't want to end up watching a live AFP vs MILF gun battle along the way, ala Hollywood movies style, hehe)?

2) Do the buses between the two cities leave on a regular basis?

3) Is it worth it (I'm really after the countryside view)?

4) Assuming its a recommendable thing to do, where's the bus terminal in Davao?

I really want to try attractions such as the river rafting, diving, etc. but I don't think it'll be practical since I'm traveling alone and I don't think that renting a boat all by myself is a good thing for the pocket.

Davao City...
1. Re: Davao-GenSan roadtrip?

1. The Davao-Gensan route is fairly safe. It's the Davao-North Cotabao route that's been plagued recently with incidents of bus burnings and bombings.

2. Bus lines that ply the Davao-Gensan route have a regular schedule. I think the aircon buses leave every hour.

3. The view along the route isn't really breathtaking. Except for a short stretch when you're crossing the Davao del Sur - Sarangani border where you will have a nice mountain-top view, it could get pretty boring.

4. The bus terminal is in Ecoland. It's very accessible via taxis or public utility jeeps.

Even if you are travelling alone, it's not really impractical to go out on an island-hopping trip around samal or talikud island. You don't have to pay for the entire boat as there are regular island-hopping trips organized by a number of dive shops operating just outside the Sta Ana wharf. If you join these trips, you only need to pay for yourself. You might want to get in touch with these dive shops and inquire about their samal/talikud island-hopping trips:

- Carabao Dive Center (tel. no. +63-82-3001092)

- Wind and Wave (tel. no. +63-82-3053483)

UK and worldwide
reviews: 7
2. Re: Davao-GenSan roadtrip?

Driven the Davao-Gensan route many times, it is about 3 hours but expect more if travelling on a bus. However it is quite a boring trip, yes the only good section is when you cross the mountains you get a spectacular view all the way to the shoreline. If you are after spectacular views, take a drive to Calinan and then continue along that road towards Valencia in Bukidnon. The road (which is excellent by Philippine standards) winds up around the mountains and has some beautiful scenery. You can even buy strawberries from roadside stalls as you get high up in the mountains. There are places to stop on the route and sleep over if necessary (can't remember the names though) You can do this route by bus although I recomend you hire a (good) car and drive it yourself.

As for diving, Wind and Wave (and all the others too) organise group dives several times a week and a big one every Sunday. Many people are sole travellers, you don't pay any extra. In total there will be about 30 of you and you will be buddied up with someone else with similar experience.

For white water rafting, visit the Crocodile park and ask if they have any group bookings which you can jump on. When I went there was a couple of solo travellers who shared the boat with our group and it was fine. I highly recommend that you do this (see my review of Davao white water adventure) as it is an excellent day out and you'll have loads of fun. My only advice is book directly with the crocodile farm as other tourist agencies/hotels tend to hike the price a little. Hope this has given you an insight. Enjoy.

Manila, Philippines
reviews: 1
3. Re: Davao-GenSan roadtrip?

Thanks for the replies jjr803286 and jhaddy_the_great.

I guess I'll go and check first either the rafting or diving attraction and if there's an available group on which I can bump in, I'll go. The Davao-GenSan trip would be a backup in case they can't accommodate me.

I'll be going on a regular weekday so I'm kinda expecting that there won't be that much tourists around.

4. Re: Davao-GenSan roadtrip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 pm, August 16, 2009