We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How safe it to travel to Makati?

Which Makati hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Amelia
reviews: 1
How safe it to travel to Makati?

I am thinking about planning a trip to the Philippines but not sure where to go. Everywhere I look all I see are travel advisories against traveling to Phils. Someone told me to visit Makati, they said it was pretty safe for an American traveling alone. Although I do not know how far one would have to travel to go scuba diving or visit a beach etc. So my question is actually in two parts. The first part is how safe is it to travel alone to Makati for a westerner / American? The second question is there a better place to travel that is safe for a solo American who wants to experience some good snorkling / scuba diving and Filipino culture?

Thanks

58 replies to this topic
Denver, Colorado
reviews: 71
1. Re: How safe it to travel to Makati?

Makati is plenty safe enough if you have your wits about you and take the same precautions you would in any large city.

For snorkeling/beaches etc, I always feel the central Visayas are the best starting point for any first timer to the Philippines. Do some research on Bohol, Siquijor, Negros , Cebu, all within easy reach of one another with ferry service.

Bohol may be what you are looking for, is a great first time encounter for any Philippines newcomer

Amelia
2. Re: How safe it to travel to Makati?

Great Phoenix ill check that out. Thanks for the info

Manila, Philippines
reviews: 43
3. Re: How safe it to travel to Makati?

Phoenix is correct on both points:

1) Like most other big cities around the world, Makati will have areas that are best avoided, whether one is a tourist, local, westerner, or whatnot. Stick to the popular malls and commercial areas and you will be perfectly fine.

2) I agree with the suggestion of Bohol, in one location you have a good mix of culture and beach/snorkeling.

Americans are welcome and generally safe in the Philippines, and there is no language barrier which also helps. If there is an area that it would be advisable to avoid, it is certain parts of Mindanao which is the southernmost island and very far from Makati.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
reviews: 177
4. Re: How safe it to travel to Makati?

According to the Canadian government the Philippines is even safer to travel than China and Vietnam --> www.cbc.ca/news/interactives/travel-warnings/

ireland
reviews: 49
5. Re: How safe it to travel to Makati?

I am just back after spending 3 weeks there, I am female and travelled on my own and I have to say I never felt unsafe throughout the 3 weeks.

I travelled through Palawan and then headed to Bohol. I dived in Coron and in Bohol and would recommend Bohol as it is easy to get to and the diving is great there.

In Manila I stayed in Makati but also travelled around other parts of Manila, either by metro or walking and even ended up in Jeepneys twice and never felt unsafe although it can be very busy, crowded and hot.

Obviously you don't walk around dripping in jewellery or camera's swinging from your neck and use common sense you would in any big city.

Alternatively, skip Manila altogether and head straight for Bohol or whichever island you select to snorkel / dive as Manila is very missable (in my opinion)

imus
6. Re: How safe it to travel to Makati?

Since it will be your first visit in Philippines I suggest to start in Batangas, Puerto Galera, Palawan , Bohol and cebu. I'm not a diver but I v'e been to these places and did the snorkeling only but I can see how beautiful the corrals are and lots of fishes.

As for safety concern. If you are in Manila, you can stay in Makati, then visit around the metro to feel the culture of Philippines. If you are going to take taxi choose MGE. or any taxi that has big name on it because they are safe and won't ask extra from you. For anymore tips please feel free to email. me

Thank you

7. Re: How safe it to travel to Makati?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:08 am, April 22, 2014

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
reviews: 1,118
8. Re: How safe it to travel to Makati?

coopsireland and JoFitzsimons, thank you for your endorsements that are great coming from young women and not just males.

When you have time, many of us would be appreciative if you could do TA formal reviews of any accommodation, restaurants or tourist attractions that you patronised in Philippines.

jRobbs, I feel safer in Philippines than I have in a minority of the good ol' USA. I felt a lot less safe in Romania than I ever have in Philippines. Just don't do silly things like get super inebriated and walk down a dark street at 230 in the morning: this is asking for trouble in a fair bit of the urbanised world, not just Manila. (Even then all that might happen is that you get a few stares and giggles).

Edited: 8:31 pm, June 08, 2013
Oslo
reviews: 101
9. Re: How safe it to travel to Makati?

Parts of Makati are best avoided as stated and please do not overstate the safety of Makati, keep your defenses up and be aware of who you talk to or where you go.

Makati, Philippines
reviews: 36
10. Re: How safe it to travel to Makati?

Makati is a well known city that makes it happen. This is the country's leading city and the place to be for business, lifestyle, entertainment, and culture. Explore Makati’s latest offerings and discover the ins and outs of the city, the hottest spots and the hippest happenings. The Make It Makati initiative gives us a new, fun, and easy way of looking at the city. By defining distinct districts with their own vibrant personas, the campaign helps bring people, places, and events together for the best Makati experience possible.

For more details : you may visit this link : makeitmakati.com/about-the-city/makati-city-…

Are you into diving and snorkeling? Please do not miss this chance to visit Bantayan Island, Malapascua Island and the nearest islands in the Visayas region where you can find lots of choices to enjoy your scuba diving excapades. You may also check with PADI The Way the World Learns to Dive™ - Find Scuba Diving for more details and assistance :or visit www.padi.com :)

Reply to: How safe it to travel to Makati?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted