We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cockfighting Makati- Safe for Westerner travelling alone

Which Makati hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
north west UK
Cockfighting Makati- Safe for Westerner travelling alone

I believe there are a number of cockfighting venues in the Makati/Pasay area however during my last visit to the area I was put off by local that said such places were not safe for 'white guy on his own'

Does anyone agree with this?

Also, where are the cockfighting venues?

Thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
reviews: 1,141
1. Re: Cockfighting Makati- Safe for Westerner travelling alone

Each to his own, but many Westerners including myself find cockfighting one of the few examples of Filipino culture that is repulsive. To me there is nothing attractive at all about this 'sport' - I use the latter word advisedly.

Manila
Destination Expert
for Manila
reviews: 94
2. Re: Cockfighting Makati- Safe for Westerner travelling alone

Best avoid this activity. Many criminals are attracted to cockpits and you are an easy target for pickpockets, snatchers and holduppers.

You can watch it on TV in the safety of your Hotel room if you really need to see it.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
reviews: 177
3. Re: Cockfighting Makati- Safe for Westerner travelling alone

I myself don't support that activity which many Filipino mafias operate.

Edited: 8:07 am, May 12, 2013
north west UK
4. Re: Cockfighting Makati- Safe for Westerner travelling alone

Thanks for the responses.

I'd like to go to sample the atmosphere rather than enjoy what happens in the ring.

Based on your feedback I'm even less keen to attend now

Cheers

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
reviews: 594
5. Re: Cockfighting Makati- Safe for Westerner travelling alone

It is also quite cruel to the animal as the razors attached to the fighting cocks feet inflict some serious damage to the animal during the fight.

Tommo

Oslo
reviews: 101
6. Re: Cockfighting Makati- Safe for Westerner travelling alone

if you will be in provincial areas, ask for local places. I also agree, its better to avoid it.

Los Angeles...
reviews: 40
7. Re: Cockfighting Makati- Safe for Westerner travelling alone

I have been to one cockpit in Manila. It was a lively place. I look fondly back in the experience but have not returned since. I enjoyed the company but not really my thing.Not as bad as others think . I would go with a local. And I would think its better in the provinces.

8. Re: Cockfighting Makati- Safe for Westerner travelling alone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:35 pm, May 14, 2013
Baguio, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
reviews: 234
9. Re: Cockfighting Makati- Safe for Westerner travelling alone

@ Beatle 3

I agree with teh above - I find it absolutely repulsive (the same as bull fighting). Hence 3 years in Phils (with a few close family friends who own fighting cocks) and I have never seen / felt like watching this "sport"

I can understand your wishing to visit the arena "to see the frenzy that people go into" - and I realise that there is no rationale why we find it repulsive when one cock gets killed, but are okay with hundreds getting killed so that we can chomp our favourite food everyday - but to asnwer your question,

if you DO wish to see it, my suggestion is

a) Go with a Filipino

b) Take exact money that you need. No wallets, keys etc (what the above said of pickpockets is true in big cities)

c) If you travel in Phils, visit a cock fighting arena in some small town instead (everyone has one! they have been around for more than 150 years since the days of Jose Rizal!) - they are safe.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
reviews: 1,141
10. Re: Cockfighting Makati- Safe for Westerner travelling alone

YouLiveOnlyOnce, I suppose the difference is that chickens bound for our tables meet their end in a reasonably humane way, but sadly this is not true at cockfights (not that I have ever witnessed one).

There are many pleasant things to do with one's time in the land of 7107 islands: visiting white sand beaches, going to interesting restaurants, visiting Catholic churches and attending Mass, taking a bus, train or ferry trip for the experience and in many cases the scenery, diving and snorkelling, shopping at local stores or huge shopping centres, mountain hiking and so on. Attending a cockfight does not strike me as one.

Edited: 7:17 pm, May 17, 2013