We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Customer Service in Hotels and Restaurants

Which Puno hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Great Barrington...
reviews: 42
Customer Service in Hotels and Restaurants

The people in Puno are just terrific. However, the customer service is terrible. I don't blame them, they just don't know how to provide decent customer service in many hotels or restaurants.

Are there hospitality courses or schools available to the people of Puno working in the hospitality business?

Cusco, Peru
reviews: 13
1. Re: Customer Service in Hotels and Restaurants

It's something you become accustomed to after a while.......

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
reviews: 84
2. Re: Customer Service in Hotels and Restaurants

What sort of problems did you have? It's true, in Latin America service is not what we expect in the U.S. You may have been getting good service, it just wasn't what you're accustomed to. It's all part of the travel experience.

Edited: 9:03 am, November 18, 2012
california
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Palm Desert
reviews: 156
3. Re: Customer Service in Hotels and Restaurants

I was curious as well. Was it rude or just different, we had another post along these lines. Restaurant service is much less "hovery", you are pretty much left alone until you signal for service or the check. Meals are not rushed affairs but rather opportunities for socializing. I wonder what a Peruvian thinks of intrusive "American" style service. Probably "why can't these busybodies leave us alone, are they trying to get us to leave?"

Great Barrington...
reviews: 42
4. Re: Customer Service in Hotels and Restaurants

Again, the original post asked if there are formal hospitality programs in Peru.

But anyway, let me give you some of the issues we had on a regular basis:

One menu for a table of 6

Orders being served randomly, for instance, 2 people served then an inordinate amount of time before the next person to be served

Not knowing how to open a bottle of wine

Not saying ¨Thank You¨ when appropriate

No cutlery on the table

Each issue did not happen every time we dined, but it happened frequently enough. I would just enjoy my Peruvian experience much more if they could follow some basic rules of service in a restaurant

california
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Palm Desert
reviews: 156
5. Re: Customer Service in Hotels and Restaurants

I know that there are programs for tourism/hospitality, many of the native guides and hotel staff that I have met along the way have taken these courses.

But as an anecdotal example, young woman from Puno, studies tourism and English, after a few years moves from reservations function in a high end hotel in Puno to a sister hotel in Paracas, and then after the earthquake to Lima. Better climate, better opportunities, etc,, probably not an uncommon trend among educated young people to move to the capital.

Most restaurants in Puno are of the pizza/trout type. Tourists are mostly there for a night or two, just to see the lake or on the way to Bolivia. Unless a hotel or white table cloth restaurant is undertaking a special training program I wouldn't expect by the numbers service standards that you are used to , ie X minutes to greet, up sell the apps and wine, x minutes between courses, pacing, check backs, bla bla bla.

6. Re: Customer Service in Hotels and Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, December 16, 2013