We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

should we take the Bus or a Flight to Puno?

Which Puno hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NY
should we take the Bus or a Flight to Puno?

We are going to 9 days to Peru for the 1st time as follow

Day 1-2 : SV

Day 3 : MP

Day 4: Cuzco city sights

Day 5 : Tranfer to Puno

Day 6-7 : Visit the Island with overnight stay

Day 8-9 : Lima and Fly back home

Day 5 is a Tuesday, so the train do not run on a Tuesday,

is the bus ride worth the 10 hour trip ? or we should just book a flight instead ? or maybe a bus is a good way to see the country side of the real Peru ?

thank,

Maron

Sugar Land, Texas
reviews: 2
1. Re: should we take the Bus or a Flight to Puno?

I would take the bus. As far as I know, there's a choice between the regular bus (like Ormeno or Cruz del Sur) and a sightseeing bus that makes several stops along the way.

Considering that you'd have to be at the airport in Cusco at least 2 hours prior to your flight, plus 1 hour flight, plus another hour getting from Juliaca to Puno, it's "only" 6 hours difference.

You can tell I'm partial ... always in favor of buses (although I love planes, too !) because you can see where you're going. The road is part of the destination ;-)

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
reviews: 318
2. Re: should we take the Bus or a Flight to Puno?

Its a nice but quite long ride.

I am in favor of planes.

Rotterdam
3. Re: should we take the Bus or a Flight to Puno?

Hi Maron, I recommend you to take the bus, I advise you Inka express bus, which is the bus I took when I was in Peru in that route, this bus is great, besides reclining seats, tv, and buffet lunch yuo will visit some ruins on the way with the english speaking guide there.

However by fly you will see nothing.

John

Puno
4. Re: should we take the Bus or a Flight to Puno?

Hello Maron,

I would recommend you to take the Tourist Bus "First Class", or "Inka Express": daily departure 7:00, arrival 17:00, with stops and visits guided to Andahuaylillas (Sixtine Chapel of America), Raqchi (Temple of Wiracocha God), La Raya (Half point in the route Cusco - Puno), Pukará (oldest ceremonial center of the Altiplano) - Puno.

It is better to reserve for an agency to avoid complications in the road station.

I find reasonable prices in " Peruvian Dream ".

Los Angeles
reviews: 3
5. Re: should we take the Bus or a Flight to Puno?

Hi Maron,

I just took the InkaExpress from Cusco to Puno a couple of days ago. While I am usually in favor of buses, I think I should have taken the flight instead. The stops were only somewhat interesting and the landscape did not vary too much within the 10 hours. Most of the people were asleep on the bus. We did not have a TV. One of the scheduled stops was at a ruin if it were open, which it was not so we just went to a very small museum in Pukara (sp?) instead. In hindsight, would have rather spent more time in Cusco or arrived in Puno earlier to do a half day at the burial places on the way into Puno from Juliaca or give me more time to see the floating islands. It seems like you have very limited time in Peru so I'd fly. If you fly Lan, you can check-in for your flight the day before on line and go to the airport an hour before.

6. Re: should we take the Bus or a Flight to Puno?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 pm, September 02, 2009