We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothing

Which Puerto Maldonado hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh...
reviews: 12
Clothing

What clothing should be packed for staying a a jungle lodge in early May?

california
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Palm Desert
reviews: 156
1. Re: Clothing

Long pants for hiking (to prevent scratches), I wore a long sleeve shirt but you could also do tshirt and bug spray. Swimsuit. Some tshirts and shorts or loose dress for around the lodge. I recommend a head net for mosquitos if you are hiking, and a sweatband, instead of a hat, but a hat for sun when you are on the boat. You might also bring some kind of warm jacket since a cold front can come thru this time of year. A fold up plastic poncho, always carry it with you. Something for mosquito bites (you'll probably get a few).

Bring some water shoes for the boat and find out if the lodge lends rubber boots. A few water bottles, most of the lodge will give you fresh water to drink.

Bring ziplock bags and some dessicant (I save the little packets from pills and electronics) You will be amazed at what the humidity does to things. I kept my cameras in the ziplocks overnight helps keep them from fogging up.

Edited: 12:50 pm, April 24, 2011
Pittsburgh...
reviews: 12
2. Re: Clothing

Thank you so much. I was just wondering about shorts or long pants, but you have mentioned things that I never thought about. You have been soooo helpful.

Peru
3. Re: Clothing

Most definitely wear long pants. However, I found that wearing long pants while hiking around in the jungle got super hot (and I didn’t have any nice lightweight pants), so I compromised by wearing leggings with shorts over them (perhaps not too fashionable for those of the male gender, but a nice trick for the females out there!). It does get colder in May, but only to around 50 degrees or so.

I also always wore a shawl around my neck to keep the bugs off and coated myself in bug spray, but I don’t think the mosquitoes are as bad in May compared to when I went.

Mlgb is 100% correct about the humidity. My paperback book almost died during my jungle adventure. This also means you might want to bring a fresh pair of clothes for every day, because if you get sweaty your clothes will probably not fully dry, even if you leave them hanging up for a day.

Have fun!

-Laura (Peru For Less)

London, United...
reviews: 521
4. Re: Clothing

I agree with all the mlgb suggestions. I wore long pants and it was like being in sauna but it is better to be sweaty then be bitten by bugs or being scratched. I also wore the mozzie head net, the only one in our group hike and they all took pictures of me for a laugh. But I was the only one with no bites.

I will bring it for my next trip.

perth
reviews: 8
5. Re: Clothing

Thanks for the advice!

What kind of shoes are best?

Albany, New York
reviews: 22
6. Re: Clothing

if you have light clothing long pants and poss. even long sleeve--besides bugs and scratches --also protects against accidentally brushing against undesireble plants!! -also be careful of that.

california
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Palm Desert
reviews: 156
7. Re: Clothing

For walking in the jungle that time of year they should be lending you rubber boots, since it is muddy. You might bring some insoles to make them more comfortable...also LOTS of sox, like maybe enough for 2 pairs a day!! I had some lightweight microfiber ones for spares and used them.

I had Crocs for on the canoe (and they float so you can wear them in the water). Some flip flops for around the lodge would be nice to let your feet breathe after being in rubber all day. Be sure to use insect repellent at those times, although mosquitoes were not that bad at the lodge (because they spray) they will be in the jungle and probably on the canoe.

8. Re: Clothing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 am, October 29, 2012