We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chiclayo or Trujilo

Which Chiclayo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 1
Chiclayo or Trujilo

I will be travelling fro Equador towards Huaraz. There are direct coatches to either Chiclayo or Trujiilo from Tumbes. Can you advise me where I should stop to take next bus to Huaraz? Are these two towns visiting at all?

Thanks,

Anita

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
reviews: 277
1. Re: Chiclayo or Trujilo

Chiclayo is important to visit the Sipan Museum.

n Trujillo you should visit the Chan Chan and Pyramid of the moon arquelogical sites.

I am not sure if you can catch a bus in Trujillo that goes to Huaraz. The road to Huaraz starts at around km 250 of the Panamericana Sur (closer to Lima). Trujillo is on km 500.

Most buses go from Lima to Huaraz.

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
reviews: 82
2. Re: Chiclayo or Trujilo

Both Chiclayo and Trujillo are well worth visiting. Chiclayo itself is nothing much: better to stay in nearby Lambayeque (15 mins by cab) from where you can walk to both the Bruning and the sensational Sipan Muuseums, From Chiclayo to Trujillo there are frequent buses and it takes a couple of hours. Trujillo has a really nice colonial centre and the ruins of Chan Chan and Huaca de la Luna are spectacular.

My Footprint guide to Peru (2001 edition) says there are direct overnight buses from Trujillo to Huaraz with Emp de Trans 14, Movil and Linea. The two latter companies are good and you should be able to check schedules and book online on their web sites.

London, United...
3. Re: Chiclayo or Trujilo

Thanks so much for all your advice

Peru
reviews: 25
4. Re: Chiclayo or Trujilo

Both places have interesting places to see, but buses to Huaraz departs from Trujillo. Movil Tours and Trasportes Linea are the buses, both departs about 9pm and arrives to Huaraz about 6am.

If you wants to do both cities, Emtrafesa and Linea have buses leaving almost every hour and it takes about 3 hours from Chiclayo to Trujillo

Bilbao
5. Re: Chiclayo or Trujilo

From Trujillo to Huaraz, by bus, it takes 4 hours (US$15/20)

From Chiclayo it's almost the same!!!

Both Chiclayo and Trujillo are very beautiful places and offer great tour options.

Chiclayo: Lord of Sipán complex, Tucume (Pyramids)...

Trujillo: Huaca del sol y de la luna, Chan Chan complex, Huanchaco beach...

Cheers!

DC
6. Re: Chiclayo or Trujilo

Hello - I see you are commenting on a lot of topics on Peru. Would appreciate your advice - we are going to Pachu Picchu in December but have two or three days before arriving to Cusco to spare... I am torn between visiting Chiclayo area or Lake Titicaca or Arequipa... We will be arriving to Cusco two days before taking the Inca trail - so we will have enough time to adjust and see other sites around. What is your suggestion? I have also thought of the Nasca... Really appreciate the advise

Los Angeles...
reviews: 25
7. Re: Chiclayo or Trujilo

I stayed two days each in both Chiclayo and Trujillo. If I had to pick only one of the two places, I'd pick Trujillo. Trujillo's Chan Chan was truly impressive. Trujillo and surrounding areas seemed better developed for tourism and also much prettier and more pleasant in general than Chiclayo. For any other practically purposes, too, Trujillo should be more convenient, as it is bigger, richer, more sophisticated, etc.

That said, Chiclayo is easily doable as a day-trip from Trujillo, or at least was so in September. While in Trujillo, I saw offers of one-day tours of Chiclayo highlights including transportation at prices lower than what I'd paid locally in Chiclayo for a less comprehensive tour.

8. Re: Chiclayo or Trujilo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 01, 2010