We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jesuit Missions from Foz Do Iguacu?

Which Encarnacion hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Scottsdale, Arizona
reviews: 12
Jesuit Missions from Foz Do Iguacu?

I was wondering if this is feasible, how much would it cost? Should it be done as a day trip or over night? Rent a car or is a bus available that could go from Foz? I'm an American and well aware of the visa situation, so I will get that of course as well. I'll be in Brazil for World Cup and would love to do some side trips while I am down there.

2 replies to this topic
Las Vegas, Nevada
reviews: 36
1. Re: Jesuit Missions from Foz Do Iguacu?

So jealous! Yes, quite feasible, however, it would be a lot to do in the same day, even if you were to leave Foz early in the morning. If you do want to drive, you would have to rent a car in Paraguay (cross into Ciudad del Este) as no car rental companies that I know of will allow their vehicles to cross international borders.

In my opinion, it would be much easier and much less expensive to take a bus. Your best bet would be to cross into Ciudad del Este, Paraguay and head to the bus terminal. Hop on a bus heading to Encarnacion. (Heads south down ruta 6 (sexta)) After passing Hohenau and Pirapo, you'll come to Trinidad. Most busses will drop you off on the side of the highway in Trinidad. You'll have to walk about 1/2 mile to get to the ruins. There are hotels in the area if you decide to stay the night.

Returning to Ciudad del Este may be more difficult. Not all busses heading north go all the way to CDE. You may have to go all the way into Encarnacion (close to 1 hour south) to the bus terminal to catch a bus that will go all the way to CDE.

One other thing to consider...if you do have a car, you would be able to visit the ruins at Jesus (north of Trinidad). I have never been but have heard they are worth the trip. Even if you take a bus and get dropped along the highway, I believe it is still several miles before you get into Jesus. You could also visit Hohenau (German Mennonite colony with German architecture), Bella Vista (German colony), Pirapo (Korean/Japanese colony) in the area of Trinidad. Very interesting to see those different cultures in the remote corner of Paraguay.

If you have the time, Encarnacion is pretty cool. Head to the "Zona Baja" market to buy cheap stuff. Encarnacion is one of the prettiest cities in Paraguay.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'd be more than happy to help.

Scottsdale, Arizona
reviews: 12
2. Re: Jesuit Missions from Foz Do Iguacu?

bbradshaw, thanks so much!!! I will bookmark this post and contact you if I have other ?s. Thanks!

Reply to: Jesuit Missions from Foz Do Iguacu?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Encarnacion