We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4x4 travel to San Blas Guna Yala region

Melbourne
4x4 travel to San Blas Guna Yala region

I just got back from my trip to Panama. I lived and grew up in Panama for 17 years and never took advantage of these crystal clear waters surrounding these beautiful remote islands until the last few years. The road is now complete to this remote area and you can now hire a local tour driver to take you for $25-$30 each way. Hotels will offer you this tour for a lot more but I suggest dealing directly with the drivers who have all the island contacts and can coordinate your entire tour for 1/3 of the price especially if you speak the language.

I have one driver Alfonso who was excellent and very professional. I will use him myself every single time I fly back to Panama and decide to journey into paradise for some well deserved R&R.

P.s. I do have Alfonsos local cell number in case anyone is interested in using his services.

82 replies to this topic
Melbourne
1. Re: 4x4 travel to San Blas Guna Yala region

I forrgot to mention. The trip only takes about 2 1/2 hours each way and the driver will pick you up at your home or hotel and drop you off as well. You can arrange a day trip which consists of the driver picking you up at 530am getting to the islands by 830am and bring you back at 330pm getting back to the city by 630pm or you can arrange to be dropped off and spend as many nights on the islands and arrange to be picked up whenever you are ready to leave.

Trust me, once you see what can just be described as Tahiti and bora bora like setting, you will never want to return back to your normal reality.

The Woodlands, Texas
reviews: 7
2. Re: 4x4 travel to San Blas Guna Yala region

I am going to be in Panama City July 4-10 and would like to visit San Blas, the Kuna Indian village and see the area. Are there organized tours to do all this or are you own your own? Does Alphonso speak English. Husband/wife adults.

Pookie 36

3. Re: 4x4 travel to San Blas Guna Yala region

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:40 pm, June 09, 2012

4. Re: 4x4 travel to San Blas Guna Yala region

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:40 pm, June 09, 2012

Melbourne
5. Re: 4x4 travel to San Blas Guna Yala region

There are tours you can book online that will take care of all the details and you can choose from several different options but they do come with a higher price than setting it up yourself through Alfonso. The only issue is that he does not speak English so it may be fifficult for you to communicate with him unless you find a translater that can help you set it all up

Canazas, Panama
6. Re: 4x4 travel to San Blas Guna Yala region

what's alfonso's #? I can speak spanish plenty well, and i'm trying to figure out how to stay in san blas for 2-3 nights on a budget in early july.

Cali
reviews: 11
7. Re: 4x4 travel to San Blas Guna Yala region

Ive been searching all over these forums for info on SanBlas to answer my questions and this one is the closet. Unfort I dont speak spanish although it is very easy for me to get a translator from friends I was hoping to find one that spoke english also. I will be in Panama very end of August and trying to get transportation to San Blas havent decided where to stay yet still alittle confused about all the islands and how to get there.

Melbourne
8. Re: 4x4 travel to San Blas Guna Yala region

Hire a 4X4 driver and they operate as travel agents and coordinate all of your accommodations in the islands. These drivers know the folks that manage all the different islands and what islands would be most appropriate for the type of activity you seek. Culture, snorkeling, isolation, luxury, sailing etc...

Alfonso does not speak English but he was a great asset to have during my visit. I know there are a few Drivers that do speak or understand English but they usually work for larger tour groups and you will pay double the price for that premium.

Fonthill, Ontario...
reviews: 89
9. Re: 4x4 travel to San Blas Guna Yala region

I live in Chiriqui and am looking at heading to San Blas in the next few months. Can you please send me Alfonso's cell number? Also, do you have any recommendations for places to stay? We stayed on Tigre a few years ago, but want to try something different.

Thanks for your help.

Montreal, Canada
reviews: 73
10. Re: 4x4 travel to San Blas Guna Yala region

Thanks for the great reply. If you could give me Alfonso's cell number it will be greatly appreciated. Do you know if he knows of Ina's Place on Robinsons island, this is where we are thinking of going but not ground in stone. Your help is greatly appreciated. Alex from Montreal Canada.

Reply to: 4x4 travel to San Blas Guna Yala region
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted