We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From David to Bocas del Toro

Which David hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Gatos...
reviews: 5
From David to Bocas del Toro

Next summer, we will be driving a rental car from Panama Ctiy to Boquete. Afterwards, we plant to visit the island of Bastimentos. I called Aeroperlas and I was told that there are no longer flights from David to Bocas, but that we could take a bus from David to Changuinola (1 1/2 hr.) followed by boat from Changuinola to Bocas (45 minutes). This means that we would still have to take another boat to Bastimentos. Has anyone done this route? Any comments would be appreciated.

San Carlos
1. Re: From David to Bocas del Toro

I can't speak from experience, but I've read up on it a lot here and will be traveling from Bocas to Boquete later this month, so hopefully I'm more or less accurate :)

Couple things:

1) People often mention the drive from David to Almirante as being very scenic. Ferries leave from Almirante to Bocas every half hour, I believe. People have hired taxis, shuttles/tours, or used the public buses. Less familiar with the drive from David to Changuinola, but I think the ferry situation is roughly similar.

A useful site for bus schedules is: http://thebusschedule.com/EN/pa/

2) I e-mailed Aeroperlas myself last month and was told that the David - Bocas route would resume mid-January 2011. Doesn't help me, but even though the planes are down now, I think there's a good chance they'll be operational next summer.

One more thing .... I think the drive is more like 3.5 - 4 hours, not the 1.5 you mention. Something to double-check.

Edited: 2:27 pm, December 20, 2010
panama
2. Re: From David to Bocas del Toro

Aeroperlas are supposed to be restoring the flights in February once their new planes arrive.

In the meantime, there are many options to get you from Boquete to Almirante (the town where the water taxis run from - every 30 minutes to Isla Colon - the main island of the Bocas del Toro archipelago).

Bus (Boquete to David - then David to Almirante) Charter vans or taxis (Boquete to Almirante).

On Isla Colon you can catch water taxis to Isla Bastimentos.

Los Gatos...
3. Re: From David to Bocas del Toro

Thank you for the quick replies. I will check in with Aeroperlas in a couple of months and look into the Almirante-Bocas route.

Seattle
reviews: 50
4. Re: From David to Bocas del Toro

We had booked two passages on Aeroperlas for early February and last week the company emailed us to say that all flights between David and Bocas had been cancelled permanently.

Edited: 6:34 pm, December 25, 2010
Seattle
reviews: 50
5. Re: From David to Bocas del Toro

We had booked two passages on Aeroperlas for early February and last week the company emailed us to say that all flights between David and Nova's had been cancelled permanently.

Los Gatos...
6. Re: From David to Bocas del Toro

Wow! Thanks for this very useful piece of information!

Zurich, Switzerland
reviews: 15
7. Re: From David to Bocas del Toro

Also my flight from David to bocas in March 2011 has been cancelled. Two other flights I've booked have been rescheduled, with totally different departure times. --> currently I do not recommend booking Aeroperlas.

Zurich, Switzerland
reviews: 15
8. Re: From David to Bocas del Toro

Also my flight from David to bocas in March 2011 has been cancelled. Two other flights I've booked have been rescheduled, with totally different departure times. --> currently I do not recommend booking Aeroperlas.

Boquete
9. Re: From David to Bocas del Toro

It's unfortunate for a lot of people about the Aeoperlas flights but there are also private taxi's and a private bus. You can go to this link for more information: boquetemountainsafaritours.com/transportatio…

Los Gatos...
10. Re: From David to Bocas del Toro

Thanks!