We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to do in colon

Which Colon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kildare,Ireland
reviews: 4
what to do in colon

hi I'll be stopping in cristobal pier while on a cruise.Is there anything that you can do there.

Whitesboro, New York
reviews: 22
1. Re: what to do in colon

Having never done a cruise to the Canal before I'm not sure how long you'll have but I do know where the piers of Cristobal are and I would suggest a trip to Fort San Lorenzo for some real history and then maybe the Free Zone of Colon for shopping. I'm sure there will be all kinds of touts on the pier helping you make up your mind but if I had a day those would be my choices.

If the Tarpon Club is still around then lunch there or the Panama Canal Yacht Club. Colon is not exactly the prettiest of areas to see in Panama and the unemployment rates are much higher than the rest of the country causing crime to of course be higher.

Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
reviews: 69
2. Re: what to do in colon

As Borracho states lots of unemployment in Colon. Do not walk around by yourself to see the town, seeing from Ireland you won't blend in to well. Grab a tour, Fort San Lorenzo is great, there is some fun snorkeling just below the fort and also some nice hiking trails.

Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
3. Re: what to do in colon

Colon, as mentioned, is not a place to wander around. There is very little to see in the city itself.

Have a look at the shore excursions offered - I know it's not cheap but the Train Trip to Panama City, if offered is one of the best ways to see the most of the country. You will take the train one way and bus the other, be shown around Panama City and see some of the best of the country on the train trip.

They may also offer a trip to either Fort San Lorenzo and the Gatun Locks which would also show you how the locks operate which is quite fascinating or a trip to Portobelo which is another are where there are ruins of Spanish forts, a historic church and other sights.

For something a bit more adventurous they may offer a trip to an Embera Village - these villages are in the middle of a national park and they live a very traditional way of life - you will really see the jungle and the culture of an indigenous people.

Shopping in the Free Zone as mentioned previously, is not like walking around a shopping mall - this an immense area, over 130 acres, of warehouses and showrooms - most business do not sell retail and you will have to arrange to have any purchases taken to the ship - which may or may not be possible in the short time frame the ship is in port. If you are leaving the ship in Panama then you would have to have the goods delivered to you at the airport on your departure flight - some stores do this easily, others not.

Cheers,

Andrew

4. Re: what to do in colon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, October 05, 2009