We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bocas Del Toro worth a visit?

Which Bocas del Toro Province hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Laguna Hills...
reviews: 2
Bocas Del Toro worth a visit?

I am going to be in Costa Rica for a couple weeks starting next Tuesday and I will be in Puerto Viejo and thinking of heading to Bocas for my last three days...looking at pictures, the town of Bocas does NOT look worth a visit, but of course the surrounding islands and even the other side of Colon are all beautiful.

I am traveling alone and originally thought to stay at a place (Tesoro Escondido) on Playa Bluff but it seems a bit far to go...

I am curious about the nightlife and cool beach bars in Bocas, but more interested in a canal boat trip, snorkeling, visiting the other islands for hikes, etc.

Can someone suggest where I should stay/general itinerary for three days or should I skip Bocas altogether?

10 replies to this topic
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 4
1. Re: Bocas Del Toro worth a visit?

Sure, go for it. Tesero Escondido is a little far away but its very nice and a minutes walk from Playa Bluff which has a couple bar shacks. The other end of Colon is Boca Del Drago which is where Starfish beach is. There are some beach bars there as well. All the nightlife takes place in town, or there is one popular place on a different island right across from town called Aqua Lounge. They have parties Wednesday and Saturdays. If you take a snorkeling tour I would suggest going on a catameran which is much more relaxing. It is called Bocas Sailing and they have an "office on the water in town. There are a number of place to stay that are either on the edge of town or right outside of town. What is your budget?

Laguna Hills...
2. Re: Bocas Del Toro worth a visit?

Well Bocas will be the last three days of my trip so I'm ok to splurge a little one or two of those nights and book something more than the $45/night or less I'm paying everywhere else.

I did email La Loma Jungle Lodge but for one person they charge a lot extra.

I just don't want to be stuck far away from where most tours leave from but I also don't want to stay in Bocas town if it's just ugly and partying

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3. Re: Bocas Del Toro worth a visit?

Maybe you would like Saigon which is a real Caribbean 'hood but very interesting and has some nice places. Check out Over The Water Rentals. Right now it is low season so people will be willing to deal. Also check out Cocomo on the sea. It is on the edge of town and is quiet.

Laguna Hills...
4. Re: Bocas Del Toro worth a visit?

I'll have to look that up thank you!

What about staying on Bastimentos instead of Colon?

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
reviews: 10
5. Re: Bocas Del Toro worth a visit?

I used to go to Cocomo by the Sea and Hotel Angela (a close neighbor on the north shore). The last visit to Cocomo was very disappointing. It was noisey, the service had slipped a lot, it was not nearly as clean and comfortable and the owner/manager had certainly lost his accomodating and wecoming demeanor. We like the north shore a lot because it is much quieter than "downtown" Bocas Town, yet still very walkable to anywhere in Bocas Town. Another very nice option is Hotel Angela. Claudio, the original owner/builder/proprietor has passed away, but I would still give it a shot before Cocomo. Lula's bed and breakfast is also very good. The next time we go, we are planning to try Vista del Mar. The restaurant is very good, it has a great location and the rooms look nice.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
6. Re: Bocas Del Toro worth a visit?

Bastimentos is very nice but very secluded.

Laguna Hills...
7. Re: Bocas Del Toro worth a visit?

Where do most of the snorkel/sailing trips leave from? Bocas Town?

Anything to do on Bastimentos itself?

I'm also worried about the weather there right now. I'll be there the 20th-23rd so I'll just cross my fingers and bring a good book.

Newport Beach...
reviews: 66
8. Re: Bocas Del Toro worth a visit?

just go to Bocas Town - and you can find something easy. Just look at a couple of places, and find a place to stay. I don't think occupancy is that good - so should not be a problem you can always find something. That is what I am doing this week.

Bocas del Toro has it's own character - and worth visiting. You can rent a scooter and ride out to the beaches which are pretty - like starfish beach.

it is easier to get a round there. You can take water taxi's anywhere you want to see the islands and things.

Bastimentos is more isolated and can be interesting, but think you would get bored no nightlife.

The rain is only for a bit and it is warm so no big deal - it will go for a bit and then clear.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 88
9. Re: Bocas Del Toro worth a visit?

I have been to Tesoro Escondido twice and it is absolutely a paradise, with a main house and little cabins tucked into the trees and gardens and its own private beach cove. If you want peaceful nature, this is it. As mentioned, bluff beach is a couple minutes walk, then it is a 20 minute walk down the Beach Bar, which is fantastic--great food and drinks, chill vibe, hammocks and tables under the trees, views of the blue sea and beach, and even music on sAturdays. You can probably share a taxi with another guest to go into town for your tours. But the Beach Bar has upped the ante on Bluff Beach, and really makes it a great destination. Bocas town will be noisier, more action and restaurant choice.

Morehead City...
reviews: 7
10. Re: Bocas Del Toro worth a visit?

A bus will get you to border, another one to taxi boat in almarante.rent an atv, and stay out at bluff.you get the real feel of jungle and beach.night life you should have friend ,just for security but with atv you can leave.I lived in Laguna for 5 years,loved it.good luck.if you do come,we will see you drive by when at paki point.cao

Reply to: Bocas Del Toro worth a visit?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted