We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Map of surf breaks anyone?

Which Bocas del Toro Province hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
chicago
reviews: 1
Map of surf breaks anyone?

Hey there!

We are headed to Bocas Province for a few weeks in January and I'm hoping to find a place to stay closest to one of the more moderate (beginner) surf breaks- Black Rock, Old Mans, Waikiki, Tiger Tale etc.

I'm having a tough time finding them on a map so I can find a place to stay (villa or b&b) near one of them. I'm fine with a short walk or bike ride, but I'd really like to be able to simply surf each day without taking a boat ride or taxi.

Anyone know where to find a good map or have an recommendation for a place to stay?

Thanks!

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 31
1. Re: Map of surf breaks anyone?

I found this, not sure if it will help:

http://islandpathpanama.com/Surfing.html

Isla Colon, Panama
reviews: 3
2. Re: Map of surf breaks anyone?

Stay at Tierra Verde or any other hotel on the west side of Carenero.

chicago
3. Re: Map of surf breaks anyone?

^^^ Thanks!

Starting to get a better sense of location now. I've been recently turned off to staying on Carenero because of the all the bug talk. While my girlfriend and I aren't expecting a bug free tropical vacation, it seems like on Carenero it's a constant hassle???

Seems like the area around the "waikiki" breaks gets a bad rap too, any truth to this?

Thanks again!

Isla Colon, Panama
reviews: 3
4. Re: Map of surf breaks anyone?

Sure, there are more bugs than at other places, but you're in a tropical island... it's quite normal over here. I guess it all depends on how tolerant you are towards them. Coconut oil will keep them off your skin.

Before moving to Bocas I stayed on Carenero twice and had no issues with them (I might help that I'm Panamanian... they seem to prefer foreign blood).

The waikiki break only breaks if the swell is super big and won't even be that fun.... I wouldn't recommend it unless you've never surfed and even then, if the wave isn't strong enough you might not even be able to get on it.

If you're afraid of the bugs, you can always stay on Isla Colon and it's only a $2 ride to the surf breaks you mention.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 31
5. Re: Map of surf breaks anyone?

I got eaten alive and had spray or oil on all the time. Not sure how they found my skin. My daughter got some bites as well, my son got a couple and my husband got zero!!!! If we didn't have SUCH a fantastic vacation, it could have ruined it. I was so itchy all night.

And, I am used to bites as we have a cottage here in Ontario and between the black flies (little tiny bitters) in May and the mosquitos in June/July, we are used to bugs and bites. But I have never been so bitten before. Still have scares on my legs (back a week ago). Hopefully the scares go away! :)

So, this makes me hesitant to even consider Carenero as we were on Bocas and still had issues.

But, apparently they like women better than men! So you may be okay Kevin.

bocas del toro...
reviews: 2
6. Re: Map of surf breaks anyone?

check out VRBO for rental spots - all along Isla Colon(main island) from Big Creek to Paunch Beach there are numerous rentals & multiple surf breaks - the farther from town & more on the north-east coast of the main island you will get less bugs due to the ocean breezes & less low spots with standing water. Once you get to Paunch Beach you are on the other side of the reef that protects Bocas - there are more chitres - sand flies - on the protected side.

Garberville...
7. Re: Map of surf breaks anyone?

did you end up going? where di you stay? Im still searching.

chicago
8. Re: Map of surf breaks anyone?

We opted for Costa Rica instead, in fact we're in Samara now and loving it! Never found a good map of breaks in Bocas I think it's pretty much word of mouth down there.

9. Re: Map of surf breaks anyone?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 17, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Bocas del Toro Province