We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Starfleet Scuba Suspended

Which Bocas del Toro Province hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
reviews: 10
Starfleet Scuba Suspended

Just to clarify a point of debate on a previous thread, Starfleet Scuba has had it's PADI certification suspended. In a confirming email, PADI stated, "As noted in the Quality Management area of our website, Starfleet Scuba has been temporarily suspended from PADI: padi.com/scuba/…

Our quality management process and the reasons for their suspension are confidential. During the suspension period, Starfleet is not among the PADI Member Dive Centers listed on padi.com, may not represent the business as a PADI Member Dive Center, and may not display the PADI logo."

Fortunately, there are still four other PADI certified dive centers in the islands; Scuba 6, La Buga, The Dutch Pirate and Bocas Water Sports. Bocas Water Sports is also the islands' only PADI 5-Star dive center. Having dove many times with both Starfleet (in years past) and Bocas Water Sports, I can say that BWS is the most customer focused dive op I've dove with in Panama. Their gear is well maintained and their DMs and Instructors are excellent.

Has anyone dove with Dutch Pirate? How do they compare?

Cincinnati, Ohio
reviews: 5
1. Re: Starfleet Scuba Suspended

My fiancee and I just finished 5 days of diving with the Dutch Pirate. We had a great time with them and would highly recommend them. It is a small "Mom and Pop" type of dive shop. Very relaxed pace with great costumer service. The prices were pretty much the same as the other shops in town we spoke with, but cash only!

I will try to post a complete review of them in the near future. We had such a positive experience that I would like to give them a complete review on here.

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
2. Re: Starfleet Scuba Suspended

Excellent! Glad to hear good news! I'm looking forward to your review. Be sure to include the dive sites. Anything along the wall?

3. Re: Starfleet Scuba Suspended

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:38 pm, June 08, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
4. Re: Starfleet Scuba Suspended

The wall, ie, deeper reefs and formations outside the islands ... the sites you can usually only get to during September and October when the seas are calm.

Cincinnati, Ohio
reviews: 5
5. Re: Starfleet Scuba Suspended

We didn't dive any sites that were that far out. We didn't have the best visibility, but the sea was very calm. We saw lots of lobsters and large crabs, several different rays, and even a seahorse. All in all, a calm and pleasant weak of diving.

6. Re: Starfleet Scuba Suspended

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:40 pm, June 09, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
7. Re: Starfleet Scuba Suspended

That is very weird, deleting your question. I don't get it either, John. Jon, late of BWS, referred to those outer dive sites as being along "the Wall." Kind of like The Wall in Roatan and Cayman. In this case, it's the outer shelf of the barrier reef that starts up in Yucatan and continues south -- I guess, as far as Colombia? I haven't been able to dive the outer sites, yet, in Bocas. But, I have been to a few sites on the wall in Portobelo in September.

mflagler - I dove a few sites where I used to see lots of crab and lobster. Saw one crab and no lobster in five dives. You're right. The viz is not that great and certainly plays hell with photography. But, the macro life is usually very plentiful and well worth the trade off.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
reviews: 74
8. Re: Starfleet Scuba Suspended

I too was surprised it got deleted. It's possible to petition TA staff to have it reinstated.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
reviews: 86
9. Re: Starfleet Scuba Suspended

I noticed that according to their web site, BWS is under new management. Are Jon and his wife still in Bocas? They were instrumental to our enjoyment of the area in 2008.

10. Re: Starfleet Scuba Suspended

Removed on: 6:35 am, June 16, 2012