We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beach suggestions

Which Boquete hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Port Washington, NY
reviews: 9
beach suggestions

After spending the last 6 years vacationing in Costa Rica, my husband and I are planning a one week trip to Panama for a change in February (we already have the airline tkts). We will spend some time near the Canal and probably go to Boquette. Since we are coming from NY, we do want to spend some time on a beach. I'm very confused about Bocas del Toro. I can't seem to find a recommended hotel that is on or near a nice beach. I'm also concerned about the postings I've seen regarding noise, dirty water and bugs. Perhaps I'm spoiled by the beautiful little eco lodges of Costa Rica. Should I be looking in a different area than Bocas Town?

Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
1. Re: beach suggestions

I dropped into Las Lajas this past weekend when driving back to Panama City - there's a new little resort right on the beach there - Las Lajas Beach Resort. They just opened in February and have 12 rooms that looked clean and comfortable - nothing flash but nice enough. They have pool and restaurant/bar and are just steps of the beach. Have a look at their website: www.laslajasbeachresort.com

When we were there the waves in front were quite tame but a bit further down they look surfable but still not huge. Like anywhere you would need to be aware of rip tides etc.

Might be a good option - closer to Boquete (about 1-1/2 hours drive). A couple of other restaurants nearby (one run by a German couple where we had a decent lunch).

Bocas has some nice places - just remember that most of the places on Isla Colon in Bocas Town aren't near a beach - Playa Tortuga is but it's a bit out of town, for example. There are some places on Isla Bastimentos that are on beaches - Al Natural is one. Look at www.bocas.com for a good list of available accommodation. If you are going to Bocas from Boquete, flights on depart on Mon/Wed/Fri.

Hope this helps,

Andrew

2. Re: beach suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:22 pm, November 04, 2009
Port Washington, NY
3. Re: beach suggestions

Thanks so much for your suggestion. Las Lajas sounds great and is closer to Boquette, which is also good. I sent them an email and hopefully there will be availability. You seem to know Panama very well. Any suggestions for lodging in Boquette? An agent recommended Palo Alto Riverside boutique hotel.

- Terri

Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
4. Re: beach suggestions

I have to admit a bit of prejudice when it comes to hotels in Boquete - I have worked with the Palo Alto for a few years and love it - they did get damaged during the flooding last year but I was there this past weekend and you wouldn't know the building had water running through part of it. The restaurant is closed - needs major work and the land next to the river is still full of the rocks that the river brought down with it but the hotel and the rooms are fantastic.

If you are going to do Las Lajas etc, my suggestion would be to fly to David and rent a car - makes exploring the Boquete area easier and it's an easy drive to Las Lajas - nice new road all the way to the beach and only the last 500 yards or so on decent gravel.

Hope this helps,

Andrew

Atlanta Georgia
5. Re: beach suggestions

For lodging in Boquete, I suggest you take a look at Los Establos and The Coffee Estate Inn. My wife and I have stayed at both, and were very happy. Both have a wonderfull view of Vulcan Baru.

While in Boquete, think about a tour of a coffee farm. We toured the Katowa coffee farm with Hans of Coffee Adventures. This was a great tour. Hans is very knowledgeable and a lot of fun. Also, one evening visit the bar at the Panamante Hotel. It is a special place.

We also wnjoyed our stay at Hotel Cala Mia on Isla Boca Brava. This is a small eco hotel, very attractive and well run, located about an hour and a half outside David.

I hope you have a great trip.

Robert H.

6. Re: beach suggestions

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:22 pm, November 04, 2009
Port Washington, NY
7. Re: beach suggestions

Thanks so much - I'll check out both places.

- Terri

Port Washington, NY
8. Re: beach suggestions

It looks beautiful. Thank you.

- Terri

9. Re: beach suggestions

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 06, 2010