We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise stop over for one day

Which Walvis Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Biggleswade
reviews: 137
Cruise stop over for one day

As we only we have one short day in Walvis bay does snybody know what is the best thing to do and recommend any local tour taxi or company?

14 replies to this topic
Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
reviews: 9
1. Re: Cruise stop over for one day

Quite a popular activity for passengers that just have that quick stopover is to take a Living Desert Tour as it is just a half day activity.

I was at one of the cruise ships earlier this year and a lot of people were doing this.

The operators will pick you up as you disembark the boat.

You can try Living Desert Adventures, Tommy's Desert Tours or Charlys Desert Tours. Turnstone Tours were also there. I am not sure if you would have enough time for their full day tour to Sandwich Harbour but I am sure they could do something for you.

Other alternatives is to arrange a shuttle to Swakopmund and spend the day wandering about there. You could then do Quad biking or sandboarding or take a scenic flight.

There is not an awful lot to do in Walvis Bay town itself, so if you are not wanting to do a particular activity then I would recommend spending the day in Swakopmund.

Gemma Dry - Owner - Discover Namibia Safaris

Biggleswade
reviews: 137
2. Re: Cruise stop over for one day

Thanks very much, given us some ideas, we like to do our own tours, not ship ones as often work out much cheaper and you see more.

Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 54
3. Re: Cruise stop over for one day

Hi

But you could see what the ship offers and see if that is something you are interested in and do it yourself...

What do they offer, out of interest?

In addition to Gemma's suggestions (and the trip to Sandwich has been one my highlights of out many great experiences there), I thought there were some water-based trips in Walvis Bay - in kayaks, boats etc, where you get up close to sealife?

For a really cheap day out, go to the lagoon and watch the birds. One of the few places in the world you'll see flamingoes in the sea!!!

(I think 'locals' like Gemma can get blase about some of the superb attractions in Namibia - there are so many!)

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
reviews: 9
4. Re: Cruise stop over for one day

I have found that the tours you can get organised from through the cruise ships tend to be much more expensive than if you book directly with the operator, and it is exactly the same trips through local operators except the ships add their mark up on top. I didn't recommend any water based trips as I have found in the past that when people have been on cruise ships for a while they are looking for more land based activities. Peter is of course correct, there are plenty you can do from Walvis Bay from seal and dolphin cruises to kayaking or fishing trips.

Edited: 12:12 pm, August 27, 2011
Stanley, Falkland...
5. Re: Cruise stop over for one day

Yes, you're probably right, Gemma. Seeing more sea on your day "off" is probably not ideal... I didn't think that one through.

No shortage of activties in nearby Swakopmund, though. Possibly Cape Cross seal colony is within reach?

Cornwall England
reviews: 125
6. Re: Cruise stop over for one day

Hi I wondered about the flamingoes in early June. We will be driving from Sesriem to Swakopund and wonder if we will see them at Walvis Bay at this time of the year? Wont have time for a tour.

As an aside, we are wondering if the C34 out of Swakopmund is a good drive, turning off onto C39. We are heading for Doro Nawas. thanks all. Charlie

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 30
7. Re: Cruise stop over for one day

Dear Georgie Girl, here's my best tip from a Georgia Girl on how to get the best bang for your buck in Walvis Bay during that one short stop on your cruise: contact Mr. Fanie Du Preez at Kuiseb Delta Adventures for an absolutely amazing up-close-and-personal desert experience. He's already rated the #1 Tour attraction for Walvis Bay on this site, and for good reason. Just this February, I too was planning what to do with our day in port at Walvis Bay, and we (2 professional women, approx. 60) luckily choose to spend our time exploring the hidden life of the dunes on 4X4's led by the exceptionally knowledgeable Fanie. Never ridden a 4X4? No prob, Fanie will have you slip-facing like a pro in short order. Still not convinced? The price for Fanie's tours are a fraction of similiar ship tours. Send Fanie an email with your details and he'll put together a memorable tour that will be the highlight of your entire trip, I assure you.

Edited: 4:18 pm, April 15, 2012
Stanley, Falkland...
8. Re: Cruise stop over for one day

Charlie,

I was just looking at google maps to refresh my memory (all my Namibia maps are in storage currently)and, blow me down, all the roads have new numbers.

What I thought might be the C34 is now labelled as the M76 towards Khorixas.

Sorry, but my advice would to not go up the coast, but skirt the Brandberg. If thats the C34, so be it.

Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 199
9. Re: Cruise stop over for one day

No that's the C35 Peter.

C34 & 39 are up through Skeleton coast NP and out via springbokwasser gate.

We did this in December. A bit boring but quick enough and in good condition. We had wondered which way to go but our Agent, can't remember her name, had drawn this on the map for us so who were we to argue?

Flamingoes Charlie? Some in the lagoons around Walvis Bay but we found lots more up at MPost 4 north of Swakopmund by the Salt works.

Easy enough to do a detour off the main road. Can't miss it.

Cornwall England
reviews: 125
10. Re: Cruise stop over for one day

Thanks for the info. Will try the coast road and keep a look out by the salt works. What's a Mpost mfuwe? Springbokwasser gate!! That sounds different counting days now, 46! C

Reply to: Cruise stop over for one day
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Walvis Bay