We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on two nights in Swakopmund please

Which Swakopmund hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Derby, UK
reviews: 222
Advice on two nights in Swakopmund please

My wife and I have about five weeks in Namibia and Botswana coming up in October/November. We have most of our itinerary sorted and have 2 nights in Swakopmund early November (staying at Alternative Space Guest House). We are in our 50's, fairy fit, adventurous and like the outdoors. Essentially we have one full day in Swakopmund and have been looking at the guide books and reading the forums on here. I would like to go Quad Biking but my wife isn't convinced- do you think its OK for someone our age, we have never done it before? I haven't told her about dune boarding yet! I notice that our travel insurance doesn't cover it so would need to sort out something specially. We also looked at Turnstone day tours and Tommy's Living Desert -both recommended on the forum here and look interesting - what should we do?!

Finally, could anyone recommend a couple of "good value" lively restaurants please?

Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 44
1. Re: Advice on two nights in Swakopmund please

Restaurant - The Tug.

Activity - Turnstone Tours to Sandwich Harbour.

Hermanus, South...
2. Re: Advice on two nights in Swakopmund please

The quad biking if you are fairly fit shouldn't be a problem, I have sent lots of people in their 50's for that and they have all loved it.

I however always seem to come off and damage myself in some way, so there are risks involved and if you are worried about it then it might be better not to take the risk, as you don't want to spend the rest of your trip bruised and scraped up.

The Turnstone Tour to Sandwich Harbour is highly recommended and you still get to experience the dunes that way, and all in all it is a great day out.

For restaurants I highly recommend Kuckis Pub ( I am a little biased as it is my local) it has great food and a lively atmosphere. You get a good mix of local people and tourists which is nice.

Second choice would be the Tug as recommended by Peter, a bit of a calmer atmosphere there but good food.

If you want to experience a bit of the German side of Swakopmund then Brauhaus should have reopened by the time you arrive, and that has a unique atmosphere.

And finally, there is a small restaurant called The Secret Garden (opposite Europahof Hotel) it only has 4 tables but serves the best pizza's and crayfish in town and is good value for money.

Enjoy Swakop!

Gemma Dry - Safari Manager - Truly Africa Tours

Derby, UK
reviews: 222
3. Re: Advice on two nights in Swakopmund please

Many thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Hmmm, really wanted to do quad biking but having read this my wife has decided we will do the Sandwich Harbor tour. Whatever we do we're really looking forward to the trip!

Hermanus, South...
4. Re: Advice on two nights in Swakopmund please

You could always fit an early morning quad bike in before you leave Swakopmund. They do 1, 2 and 3 hour trips.

Maryland, USA
reviews: 9
5. Re: Advice on two nights in Swakopmund please

kmr1809, sounds like you've made up your minds to do the Turnstone Tours to Sandwich Harbour. Just to add to your confidence about having made a good choice, I'd also have recommended that trip. Have fun on the dunes. Steve

6. Re: Advice on two nights in Swakopmund please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 12, 2011