We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

supermarkets in Essaouira

Which Essaouira hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Warwick Parish...
reviews: 6
supermarkets in Essaouira

Does anyone know if there are any supermarkets in Essaouira? I'm going for a month in September and wanted to know if there was anywhere apart from the medina to buy food.

16 replies to this topic
Essaouira, Morocco
1. Re: supermarkets in Essaouira

hi, I live in Essaouira for three years now and there's one supermarket called Aswak Assalam by the end of the Aqaba street, starting from Ibis Hotel

, it's like the french Carrefour, you can find anything you want from fresh to frozen food, from clothes to kids toys or cereals for breakfast

It's the only one there so there's no competition

there are also the small "superette", mini markets in residential quarters but it's too expensive.

Hope I've been helpful

Warwick Parish...
reviews: 6
2. Re: supermarkets in Essaouira

Thank you so very much - I will check it out in September.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
reviews: 288
3. Re: supermarkets in Essaouira

we took a cab to the market, then walked back..we couldn't figure out how to walk there!! lots of great food choices!!

Casablanca
4. Re: supermarkets in Essaouira

Yes there is a small Supermatket in Essaouira at the entry of Essaouira.

But in case you will spend a month there, you will love to go sometimes to Marrakech so in Marrakech you can buy things and travel back to Essaouira by the bus.

Have fun and enjoy it.

reviews: 1
5. Re: supermarkets in Essaouira

Can you walk there? Is it at the hotel ibis end or the other end? Thanks

portsmouth
reviews: 8
6. Re: supermarkets in Essaouira

Essaouira to Marrakech is 110 miles, too far for a day trip, best to stay overnight.

Edited: 7:09 pm, July 21, 2013
Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
7. Re: supermarkets in Essaouira

Day trips from Essaouira to Marrakech (and vice versa) are popular and easily achieved. True, an overnight stay is of course better but if it only for a shopping trip...

Aswak Assalam (pronounced Aswaksalam) is not like Carrefour as it does not sell alcohol. It does however stock a decent range of groceries and fresh and frozen produce.

Binfield, United...
8. Re: supermarkets in Essaouira

Is there anywhere to purchase alcohol in Essaouira? Our hotel does not have a bar and we would like to buy some alcohol for our room? Thank you in advance

Sutton
reviews: 4
9. Re: supermarkets in Essaouira

Yes you can. I think I exited the medina by a small door by Bab Doukala and it was across the road on the left hand side along a little bit. Bab Doukala is north-east if you're looking at a map of Essaouira. But you could also buy duty-free at the airport or on the plane and take it with you. I only bought cheap wine there and it was ok (think Asda plonk).

Regards

Binfield, United...
10. Re: supermarkets in Essaouira

Thank you! I will have to print this out so I remember! lol! :)

Reply to: supermarkets in Essaouira
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Essaouira