We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sands Euros or Rupees?

Which Flic En Flac hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Sands Euros or Rupees?

Hi,

me and my girlfriend are of to the Sands in September and reading some of the other post I'm now confused wether it best to take Euros or Rupees? Some say Rupees outside the hotel and Euros for inside, could someone please advise which is best and also what the weather will be like in September, many thanks.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
reviews: 977
1. Re: Sands Euros or Rupees?

Here is the link to the weather. September is normally a month for beautiful weather in Mauritius since it's recognised as the second driest month of the year.

world-weather-travellers-guide.com/weather-i…

The currency in Mauritius is the Mauritian rupe. Do not change money in your home country unless you want to get a lower exchange rate.

The rate in Mauritius is much better. When you arrive at the airport in Mauritius you will see a host of exchange bureaus at the arrival halls. Just bring your own currency and change it over there for a better deal.

The following website give you details of the latest exchange rates in Mauritius.

http://www.shibanifinance.com/

In Mauritius the currency of choice is the MUR, do not be taken in that Euros or Dollars are widely accepted. They are not and if they are accepted by an establishment such as your hotel you will be given an unfavourable rate of exchange. This means you will have lost money.

I understand a few hotels and shops are Euros only but they are rare and I have seen locals pay in rupees as they would not have Euros and no reason to carry them.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
reviews: 40
2. Re: Sands Euros or Rupees?

When we stayed at the Sands we settled the hotel bill by visa. Never use euros. A few hotels adopted the policy of charging in euros in the past few years citing the devaluation of the Mauritian rupee. We queried this here on TA as their currency has revalued a lot in the past 2 years so that argument no longer washed.Since then a number of hotels have reverted to charging in rupees.

Pay in rupees. The hotels have no legal right to insist you pay in euros.

I queried this with a leading Mauritian financial institution last year and their advise was the same as mine.

Sorry, but this euro business always makes me see red!

Bronia

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
reviews: 128
3. Re: Sands Euros or Rupees?

Hi

Echo Bronia's advice re the Euro, we never take any and although prices are listed in Euros at The Sands they will convert to rupees. We also settle our hotel extras, i.e. bar/spa treatments by visa in rupees at the end of the holiday. You need rupees for tipping (the staff would find euros useless) as well as for taxis, local shopping etc.

I'm returning to the Sands in September and expecting the weather to be hot and dry :-) as on previous trips.

Best wishes

Mazza :-)

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
4. Re: Sands Euros or Rupees?

Hi Mazza,

Yep the weather will be good because I will be there too, though up north lass!

Long time no see, what with my Bali trip and your recent jaunts!

All the best

Bronia x

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
reviews: 128
5. Re: Sands Euros or Rupees?

Hi Bronia

As we'll both be in Mauritius in September it daren't rain !!!

I actually forgot to take my umbrella when we were there in June but we were lucky and only had one very light shower, hoping that's set the scene for the next trip.

Glad you landed back in UK safely, after my recent trip in the West Country I've certainly come to the conclusion flying is easier/more relaxing than sitting in a car on the motorways in UK.

Take care

Maz x

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
6. Re: Sands Euros or Rupees?

Especially the M25 Maz! My least favourite traffic gridlocked M way.

Though it did give me time to admire this lovely little BMWZ4.....

Nope it wont rain!

Glad to see you back!

Bronia x

7. Re: Sands Euros or Rupees?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 14, 2011