We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mossies, sandflies, spiders and other biting beasties!

Which Belle Mare hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Stafford, United...
reviews: 5
Mossies, sandflies, spiders and other biting beasties!

Hi

I've been looking at some of the reviews and one lady has complained about biting spiders? I've never seen these before, however I do seem to taste delicious to sandflies and mossie's. Are sandflies and spiders a problem in this area? With regard to the mossie's, are malaria tablets required?

Many thanks

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
reviews: 1,117
1. Re: Mossies, sandflies, spiders and other biting beasties!

Mozzies can be a problem. Take a good insect repellent or buy it from supermarkets over there.

Anti Malaria tablets not required but do check with your doctor.

Not sure about biting spiders, thats a new one on me.

Stafford, United...
2. Re: Mossies, sandflies, spiders and other biting beasties!

Thanks. I've spend alot of time in Kenya and have had a terrible time with sandflies and mozzies in the past, so usually always carry a good insect repellent, I tend to use it in the day too. The spiders were a new one to me too, but there is a review on 3rd most popular hotel in Belle Mare and the lady said it was spiders? There's also some photo's of the bites and they looked quite nasty! Just thought I should find out if anyone else has had this problem.

Thanks again.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
reviews: 1,117
3. Re: Mossies, sandflies, spiders and other biting beasties!

One of our DEs, Bronia stayed at the Belle Mare Plage recently and she would be able to shed more light on this.

Stafford, United...
4. Re: Mossies, sandflies, spiders and other biting beasties!

Apparently it was at the La Palmeraie Hotel the review and photo's are still on there, however I can't find any other mentions about the spiders! Didn't want anyone to think it was at Belle Mare Plage. Perhaps it was just a one off?

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
reviews: 41
5. Re: Mossies, sandflies, spiders and other biting beasties!

Hi,

Just found that review and it was from 2007 and the whole tone of it was whingey....

I did stay at the Belle Mare Plage recently and visited Le Palmeraie and was quite impressed by it.

I've come across ants and mozzies but can honestly say never hardly seen a spider, let alone a biting one!

My last visit I was bitten twice by mozzies in the daytime, which was a first, so maybe use a repellent in the daytime if mozzies like you!

I like the local mousetidose, its less tacky than the tropical strength jungle formula we get in the UK.

Bronia :)

Stafford, United...
6. Re: Mossies, sandflies, spiders and other biting beasties!

Thanks Bronia.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
reviews: 41
7. Re: Mossies, sandflies, spiders and other biting beasties!

You're welcome!

Honestly spiders are something I dont recall seeing, unlike in my house!

A lot of the hotels fog weekly too, so maybe that kills a lot of nasties off, but even before they started fogging I can't recall seeing any. I think maybe one in 10 years?

Cheers!

Bronia :-)

London, United...
8. Re: Mossies, sandflies, spiders and other biting beasties!

I don't recall any major problems with beasties, we had a little lizard (a gecko) that lived in our room, which we loved. As i explained to my wife not only was it very cute but it lives on insects so a perfect room mate.

9. Re: Mossies, sandflies, spiders and other biting beasties!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 05, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Belle Mare
Recent Conversations