We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkelling Koomandoo

Which Lhaviyani Atoll hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sevenoaks
reviews: 28
snorkelling Koomandoo

How easy is it to get to the house reef? Is there good snorkelling there at all states of the tide?

Lincolnshire
Destination Expert
for Maldives
reviews: 67
1. Re: snorkelling Koomandoo

Wendy - not been yet but the house reef sounds to be reasonably good.

In the past the island had some lovers and haters. We always fancied going but it always seemed to be mega expensive.

They reopened in July after a mini refurb. Not many reviews since then, but seem favourable. We're going to give it a try - the prices seem more realistic now in comparison with less attractive islands. It was the best island (hopefully!) - at least on paper - in our budget for a quick break.

Liverpool
reviews: 5
2. Re: snorkelling Koomandoo

The reef is not the best you'll see in the Maldives, but it's far from the worst,

We uses to like snorkelling on the east side. Depending on the current, we'd either start off at the furthest cut through ( by the shell jbv's) and drift towards the jetty, or vice versa. It was that side where we saw a turtle nearly every day.

One thing I'd definitely do again if we ever returned to Komandoo would be the Brit trip. A full day sailing trip where you get the chance to see dolphins, snorkel with mantas, visit an uninhabited island etc. plenty of opportunities for snorkelling in different places. Also excellent lunch provided by the crew. It isn't cheap, but was well worth it IMO - especially if the weather's as good as it was when we went!

Ian

Lincolnshire
Destination Expert
for Maldives
reviews: 67
3. Re: snorkelling Koomandoo

Ian - did you go on the snorkelling trip to the uninhibited island reef (Kudadhu) just off Komandoo? Not sure how much that one costs.

Liverpool
4. Re: snorkelling Koomandoo

No, we didn't go on that. The only trips we did were the Brit, Sunset cruise, and a couple of snorkel trips - one to the wreck with the sharp end sticking out of the water :-)

Ian

Surrey
reviews: 42
5. Re: snorkelling Koomandoo

There is a twice daily short trip to drop people off at Kudadu, morning and afternoon. It was free in August when I was there. It's just across the water from Komandoo and takes no more than 5 minutes.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 46
6. Re: snorkelling Koomandoo

Access is super easy with a wide cut out

Sevenoaks
7. Re: snorkelling Koomandoo

Thanks everyone Is the drop off east or west side? How far is the reef?

Sevenoaks
8. Re: snorkelling Koomandoo

Thanks everyone Is the drop off east or west side? How far is the reef?

Liverpool
9. Re: snorkelling Koomandoo

there is snorkelling on both sides, and depending on season & currents one side will be easier than the other.

there isn't a pronounced drop off at Komandoo like some resorts where you just hit the edge of a wall and that's it - Komandoo is more of a gradual slope into deeper water.

I'd say the west side is closest to the beach as you literally go through the shallow lagoon, past the (large) gaps in the wave breakers and you're there. The west side is further out in parts, but not very far.

sorry I got my east and west mixed up in post no 2! the part I was referring to where we saw the turtles most times was between the jetty and the shell bungalows on the West side, not the east.

Ian

Colne, United...
10. Re: snorkelling Koomandoo

Hi all rather than create a new thread,

thought i would ask here,

i love snorkeling and i fear by better half isnt as keen as myself specialy when fish are big even more so if the word shark is mentioned. i would love to be able to take a self potrait with a shark in the background.

my arms not really long enough ( i havent got t rex length arms or anything)

anyone try using a mono pod to try this.

Get answers to your questions about Lhaviyani Atoll