We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kandooma - what's the food like? AI vs. Premium AI

Which South Male Atoll hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Truro, United...
Kandooma - what's the food like? AI vs. Premium AI

Hi fellow forumers!

I posted something about this last year but we ended-up not going for various reasons.. however! we're adamant that we are off next July to Kandooma. Im still totally confused/torn about what package to take though and would be grateful for any advice.

Premium AI gives you (on top of the basic AI) the ability to eat lunch at the coffee club (as well as the cafe) and dinner at the kitchen (some items excluded, but they wont say what) or the tapas place.. as well as premium cocktails and mocktails. I'm reading between the lines that e.g. the take-away option is not included in that.

The extra price is £300 pp for the week.. does anyone have any info on whether this is a good option or not?

Is the food in the Buffet pants? At Hudhuranfushi we thought the buffet was pretty poor and would have loved other dining options.. but if it's ok and we'd only want to go elsewhere a few times then it's probably not worth an extra £600?!?

Any thoughts would be very gratefully received!

Cheers :-)

London
1. Re: Kandooma - what's the food like? AI vs. Premium AI

I stayed at Kandooma in February this year and upgraded to Premium AI. We were there for 9 nights and for 8 of those we ate in the Kitchen Restaurant which has a really fantastic location and fabulous food. I think the only food that we couldn’t have was lobster. We also had lunch every day at the Coffee Club. We only ate in the buffet restaurant once and the food was nice, but I think I would have got bored eating here every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Our Premium AI package included soft drinks from the mini bar (which they restocked daily), premium spirits, all cocktails and a sunset cruise which was great fun. We also had free ice creams and cookies as part of the package. If you like your food and drink as much as I do then it was definitely worth the upgrade.

Truro, United...
2. Re: Kandooma - what's the food like? AI vs. Premium AI

Thanks loads for your post! Did you upgrade whilst you were there or with your agent before you went. We hv booked now for July and went for basic ai.. But I'm still toying with upgrading before we go, especially having read your comments!

At the kitchen were u able to eat pretty much everything on offer and likewise the coffee club? And was the takeaway included in your premium package?

Thanks loads for your response :-)

London
3. Re: Kandooma - what's the food like? AI vs. Premium AI

We upgraded before we went so it was all paid for upfront. If you do this make sure you take a copy of the paperwork listing what is included in the premium AI as detailed by the tour operator as when we arrived on the island they tried to just give us the basic AI package (I think the premium AI was a fairly new concept and they were unsure what we were entitled to). After we spoke to the manager and showed him our paperwork he made a couple of phone calls and everything was sorted out. I am sure we were able to eat everything on the menus at the Kitchen and Coffee Club (except the lobster or any dishes including lobster) but this may have changed since we were there. I did email HI directly to ask them what is included in the premium AI so this may be worth doing to get the latest up-to-date information. Sorry, can’t answer your question about the takeaway as we never used this service. Just let me know if you have any other questions.

Truro, United...
4. Re: Kandooma - what's the food like? AI vs. Premium AI

Hi again,

Do you mind if I ask which Company you booked with please? I also emailed the resort and spoke to my travel agent (who also spoke to the hotel) to try and clarify what was and wasn't included but we both kinda got nowhere. E.g. The agent small print says that items included in the premium ai would be shown on menus.. But when I asked the resort they didn't really confirm this. They sent me some menus but it didn't seem to indicate anywhere the pai?!? My concern is that we pay £600 extra and then when we get there we still need to pay for other things... Oooh! The dilemma!

London
5. Re: Kandooma - what's the food like? AI vs. Premium AI

We went with Kuoni but as I said previously I don’t think Kandooma really knew what was and wasn’t included with the premium AI as it was relatively new so they just decided to give us everything. I was happy with that! Good luck with your decision.

Nottingham, United...
reviews: 128
6. Re: Kandooma - what's the food like? AI vs. Premium AI

The Kitchen menu can be found here. I presume premium All inclusive would include eating there.

http://ba97.com/kandooma/

I loved the kitchen but only visited on buffet Monday night. It was around £120 with drinks for dinner but worth it.

Truro, United...
7. Re: Kandooma - what's the food like? AI vs. Premium AI

Hi there,

Thanks loads for the link... That's really helpful! :-)

8. Re: Kandooma - what's the food like? AI vs. Premium AI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, December 14, 2013