We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Still unsure about money

Which North Male Atoll hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Norwich, United...
reviews: 1
Still unsure about money

Hi, I am still a little confused about money in the Maldives.

It seems to me that I can sign for everything on the island and just pay at the end of my honeymoon. It also seems that I can use my visa debit card to pay with (although I am waiting confirmation from the hotel).

but...what is best to pay in? Dollars or Pounds (I am from the UK). If I pay in pounds will it cost more because they will need to convert it into dollars for their own use or is that back to front?

Also for 7 days, how much would you recommend having in cash (dollars) for tipping and possible trip to Male?

Last of all, we are on a B and B package. We were thinking of upgrading to AI but this will cost £2,000 extra and doesn't include drinks (just lunch and evening meals in designated restaurants). Roughly how much is lunch, evening meals and drinks? I know resorts vary but a rough idea would be helpful.

Thanks, sorry for all the questions :)

15 replies to this topic
England
reviews: 29
1. Re: Still unsure about money

The only part I can answer for you is you will pay in $'s not £'s!!

I think others said that for 2 weeks they take approx 700$ for tips, although I have to say that sounds a lot to me. I might have got that bit wrong though??

Norwich, United...
2. Re: Still unsure about money

So when I get the bill and they say "would you like to pay in dollars or pounds?" I say DOLLARS! But less shouty.

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
reviews: 5
3. Re: Still unsure about money

Hi

They don't ask you the bill will be in dollars and you just hand over your credit card then card company will convert it on the bill you get from them. Simples

Regards

Doug

Lincolnshire
Destination Expert
for Maldives
reviews: 46
4. Re: Still unsure about money

I think they do ask you now if you want to pay your credit card slip in the GBP amount or the USD amount. They will explain if you ask. But we understand it that if you select GBP then that is the exact amount that you see on your credit card bill. If you select USD then it gets converted at some point, at whatever exchange rate and then shows on your credit card bill. Not sure how you know which is the better deal!

We take maybe 300-400 USD cash (small notes) for 10 nights, but usually have some spare.

As I've mentioned before - it may not be wise at this time to go unprepared to Male itself at this time, so keep an eye on the travel advise updates:

https:/…maldives

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
reviews: 61
5. Re: Still unsure about money

tips in dollars.

and We always paid the bills by credit card, and always saw that we saved at least 10-20 euros thanks to the conversion used by the bank vs conversion used by the island ;)

Norwich, United...
6. Re: Still unsure about money

Still getting mixed signals about what denomination to pay with on our visa debit card. Some of you saying Dollars, some saying Euros and some unsure.

Lincolnshire
Destination Expert
for Maldives
7. Re: Still unsure about money

Ok, when we sign for the amount in GBP on the last evening, we know that amount WILL be what is on our credit card bill when it comes.

If you sign for the USD amount, you have to wait to see on your bill how much you have actually been charged in GBP (according the the exchange rate they applied when they converted it to GBP).

You may not win out, but at least you know what you are definitely signing to if you go for GBP.

That's how I look at it anyway. I don't think there's anyway of knowing, when you sign, which will work out to be the better deal. Hopefully not too much in it anyway...

Lincolnshire
Destination Expert
for Maldives
8. Re: Still unsure about money

Just going back to your opening post....that's a very strange AI if it doesn't include drinks.

Meals but no drinks is usually FB.....

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
9. Re: Still unsure about money

"Still getting mixed signals about what denomination to pay with on our visa debit card. Some of you saying Dollars, some saying Euros and some unsure."

has anyone ever told you that you complicate things way too much? lol

ok, let me try this way:

most places i have been in Maldives, they give you the bill in USD (no one has ever asked me if i preferred my bill in euros. never. by default the bill is in us$) On the night before my last day, i go to the reception, they give me the bills, i go through them quickly, and if everything is in order, i give them my Visa. and sign and thats it.

simple as that.

so really, don't complicate your life over this. You are paying with your card, not with cash, so it really doesn't matter, IF the prices were quoted in USD, then you will get charged in USD. my advice is DONT ask them for a bill in GBP, because the conversion they use is always in their favor and not in yours. If you want to know how much it is in GBP, then do the conversion yourself, just for yourself, as i said before, every time i have checked my bank statements the following month, i noticed that i always paid less than how much i calculated it would be in euros.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
10. Re: Still unsure about money

ps. of course, if you are planning to pay in cash, then take whatever currency the prices are quoted in, my guess would be in USD.

Reply to: Still unsure about money
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted