We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are mosquito's an issue?

Which North Male Atoll hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Are mosquito's an issue?

Hi,

I'm travelling with my family to the Maldives at the end of May, we have been once before but it was a few years ago now (pre children) and I don't particularly recall there being any mossies, but I would appreciate knowing what its like now? Just wondering if I ought to take mosquito nets for the girls at night?

Thanks

x

London, United...
reviews: 2
1. Re: Are mosquito's an issue?

Yes, there are mossies, the islands spray the vegetation and some islands have more than others, but I would be prepared for some. I've never used a net there but do use repellant. There's no malaria in the Maldives, but there is a very small risk of Dengue fever which, I understand, is spread by mossies that bite during the day. Most cases seem to be in Male or local islands so make sure you apply repellant before you get off the plane to protect yourself while waiting for boat/seaplane. I put some repellant wipes in my hand luggage for this.

belfast
reviews: 215
2. Re: Are mosquito's an issue?

which island are you going to?

If you have ur aircon on in the room that usually deters them if they are there. Prior to dinner we normally give the room a quick spray and leave the aircon on. Although some islands we have been to have no mossies.

We always put on repellant at night in any case but have hardly had any bites in our trips to the Maldives. I think the only island to get a couple of bites was at Biyadhoo and those bites happened in the day (when we didnt put on repellant) around the bushes by the beach.

London
3. Re: Are mosquito's an issue?

Thank you, that's really helpful and good tips re the wipes and spraying the room/ aircon. Will make sure I go prepared then :)

Birmingham, United...
reviews: 21
4. Re: Are mosquito's an issue?

Check out ,,,Smidge that Midge ,,

Much kinder on your kids skin and equally as good as deet IMO

Darryl

Woking, United...
5. Re: Are mosquito's an issue?

Just come back. No mosquitoes seen.

Manchester, United...
reviews: 13
6. Re: Are mosquito's an issue?

I think it depends if you're affected!

I get eaten alive if I don't use deet. I had 27 bites in a day trip on the atoll explorer - each one the size of a 2 pence piece. And i have had bites on all 3 resort islands visited. Yet my other half can physically see the mosquitos sat on his skin and he gets no reaction, no spot/mark, nothing.

My dad has been hospitalised twice through severe reactions to mosquitos bites (not in the Maldives), so I think it depends on your genetic predisposition.

7. Re: Are mosquito's an issue?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 29, 2014