We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Makunudu 2013

Which North Male Atoll hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sheffield uk
reviews: 4
Makunudu 2013

Hi everyone,

We are now looking at Makunudu September 2013. Is the snorkeling good off the beach and is the reef far from the beach. Is it very deep to the reef? We are looking at booking it through Tropical Breeze, has anyone used this company?

Many thanks Pam

London, United...
reviews: 26
1. Re: Makunudu 2013

Hi Pam

We have used Tropic Breeze (I think that's the same one) and they were very good - no problems at all. We've also been to Makunudu and although it's not my favourite island it is certainly very pretty and has a lot going for it. The snorkelling is generally reckoned to be very good, but I have to say that I was disappointed with the fish life. The corals are simply amazing however. The reef is fairly close to the beach, but it is quite deep to get to it. I was able to swim over the corals very easily with no danger whatsoever of touching them in some spots. In others it's much shallower, but, and for us it was a very big but, the lagoon in places was simply full of dead/broken corals and it was virtually impossible to access the reef this way. Hope that helps.

SL

Sheffield uk
2. Re: Makunudu 2013

Thanks SL for your promt and honest reply. We know it is a small island but just wondered about the snorkeling. Again many thanks.

Pam

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 235
3. Re: Makunudu 2013

isnt the sand very coarse/sharp at Makundu?

London, United...
4. Re: Makunudu 2013

Yes, except for in front of the Watersports centre ie in front the the clear part of the lagoon. It's lovely there, but the rest is VERY hard on the feet!

SL

suffolk
reviews: 56
5. Re: Makunudu 2013

Pam.....if you rate Reethi 5/5, Makanudu would be less than 4 in our opinion.

It is a small, quiet island with detached rooms, a good deep lagoon for swimming but as SL says, very coarse sand.

Dinner is silver service with 2 or 3 choices each night to choose from and a buffet/bbq twice a week when we were there in 2006.

I don't remember corals like SL does.....I do remember turtles though.

I do wonder if the island is in need of refurb as the price seems to have got a little more affordable over the last year or so.

As you probably know, we are happy to go back to Reethi.....not Makanudu though.

John

London, United...
6. Re: Makunudu 2013

Oh it's definitely in need of a refurb John! We had termites in our room and woke to very neat little piles of sawdust on the floor every morning!! Didn't affect our enjoyment though.

SL

Sheffield uk
7. Re: Makunudu 2013

Hi Folks,

Reethi still sounds better to us John but Im afraid the price is swaying towards Maunudu. Still not totally made our mind up. There sre a lot of good reviews for Makunudu though. Maayafushi sounded good but can only get it through expedia and its a bit steep in price.

Pam

Leuven, Belgium
reviews: 2
8. Re: Makunudu 2013

I think you can also book Maayafushi via thomascook.de

Hampshire
9. Re: Makunudu 2013

Hi

I visited Makunudu last year. Admittedly it is no longer a leading hotel for Maldives - however go back 8 or 10 years and it was considered to be right up there (shows how much the country has 'advanced' in that time).

It is very simple - old style thatched huts. Nothing snazzy or electronically sophisticated - but the dining is very high quality.

I would definitely re-visit for a week of relaxation in the sun.

Thanks

Richard from PurelyMaldives

10. Re: Makunudu 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, December 16, 2013