We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maafushivaru

Karachi
reviews: 2
Maafushivaru

Am considering going to the Maafushivaru in November. Resort looks very nice, but how does one get there? It says seaplane from Male, but how does that work once you land at male airport? Does the hotel greet you and take you to its seaplane? Or do you have to buy a ticket for the seaplane? And if so, can one buy it beforehand online or do you have to chance your luck? Am planning a honeymoon with my partner who is a freak for details, so need to have this figured out beforehand. Please help.

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
reviews: 76
1. Re: Maafushivaru

Welcome to the forum. Yes you need to arrange the seaplane before you go.

You can book it in the package with your room - have a look at Purely Maldives.

If you book direct or don't have the seaplane in your package then you need to contact the resort and give them our flight details. Yes they will be there to meet you - it's very simple when you arrive. There will be guys representing the travel companies/resorts as soon as you get outside and there are also booths for all resorts just in front of you.

Loughborough...
reviews: 8
2. Re: Maafushivaru

Hi arifabrar,

Like Lynphd says you can book it as a package but some agencies don't include transfers so make sure the transfers are included, SimplyMaldivesHolidays.co.uk are also very good as have just recently used them.

england
reviews: 18
3. Re: Maafushivaru

Maaf is a lovely island. I am sure that you will love it. As you have said that your partner is a control freak keep my comments a big secret from her. Male airport and the sea plane transfer is frankly organised chaos. You get off the plane and when you come out of arrivals you will see a lot of desks - one for each island. You go to that desk and then they send you to the sea plane desk where you deposit your luggage - only 20kg per person. Then once you have dropped your bags they put you on the bus to the sea plane terminal and you wait there in fairly good comfort for the sea plane. Now that all sounds simple doesn't it. It is, but to be honest to a first timer and especially a control freak it can be overwhelming. You just simply must go with the flow and it will all be fab. I have a friend who is a control freak and when we travelled together for the first time she was not entirely happy with my description of how it all worked. Once she had done the trip she had no problem going back again. Your partner will love it and so will you. Have a good trip.

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
4. Re: Maafushivaru

Seaplane weight limit is actually *25 kg per person (usually they weigh everything together per couple - so they will allow 50 kg combined).

Anything over is charged at 4 or 8 USD per kg plus taxes. (It used to be 4 but I've seen 8 also mentioned recently so now I'm not sure which it actually is!)

Please note that some islands eg Conrad have said previously that they allow a higher luggage limit on the seaplane.

Edited: 1:46 am, September 22, 2013
Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
5. Re: Maafushivaru

Once they have weighed your luggage (suitcase and hand luggage) they will usually let you take your hand luggage with you for the bus trip to the sea plane terminal. However if your hand luggage has wheels they will take that with your suitcase - so be prepared.

When you get on the seaplane all the suitcases will be secured at the rear and they will take any large hand luggage from you as you get on - so again be prepared (i.e. have your camera out ready).

There is a possibility that your luggage won't be on the same seaplane, but this doesn't happen often. But be sure to put anything essential into your and luggage.

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
6. Re: Maafushivaru

I'll set up a new FAQ on sea plane transfers once I have gathered the current info (see new thread).

Karachi
7. Re: Maafushivaru

Thank you all for the responses. I also checked out the website for Trans Maldivian Airways, and while they do list some route maps, there's no mention of online ticket purchases. Added to what everyone has said, that leads me to believe that the seaplane flights operate based on hotel requirements, which allows for a premium pricing. For instance, the seaplane distance to the Maafushivaru resort is supposed to be 10 minutes, and in one obscure corner of the resort's website i found the round trip priced at about US$350, which I think is more than what it would cost me for my connecting flight from Colombo to Male. Still... if that's the only way to get to a resort, I suppose there's no option but to grit your teeth and bear it, but personally hidden costs like this really do tend to rankle.

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
8. Re: Maafushivaru

You cannot buy tickets for the seaplane once you arrive at Male Airport & they MUST be purchased beforehand.

I don't know how you are booking your trip but if you are booking independently then you need to book yours via the seaplane co or alternatively the resort can book for you. If you are booking via a travel agent then ask for this to be factored in as a package.

When you exit Male Airport you will be confronted by various reps from individual resorts, look for the one you are going to and they will take you to their resort "desk" & take care of you & arrange to take you to the seaplane terminal & ensure you are taken care of. There is nothing to worry about, may sound complicated but in reality it goes like clockwork.

The key thing is to purchase your seaplane trip before you leave home ....

....AG

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
9. Re: Maafushivaru

It's more like 25-30 minutes by seaplane to Maafushivaru/South Ari.

Book a package with your seaplane transfer included - otherwise arrange the transfer via your resort. Be sure they have your international flight details; they will add the cost to your room bill.

It may seem costly but it's the only way to get to the island.

Edited: 1:00 pm, September 23, 2013
Karachi
10. Re: Maafushivaru

We are pretty much sold on the Maafu after looking at almost all of what's available. Transfers seem to be included (although pricey) when you book with the hotel, so that seems taken care of.

There is just one question in our mind, and that is of privacy. Both of us prefer the beach villa, but the only private outdoor space the villa seems to have is the deck facing the sea. We don't fancy the idea of lots of people traipsing past in front of us while we are lounging about in our underwear... or lying in bed with the blinds open to look at the sea. Especially since we will be on our honeymoon.

So would really appreciate if people who've stayed at the Maafu could shed some light on this aspect. Any tips on what rooms to request for greater privacy and seclusion. And we would much rather stay in a beach villa than a water vila.

Get answers to your questions about Southern Ari Atoll