We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone given Euros as a tip ?

SOUTHAMPTON
reviews: 18
Has anyone given Euros as a tip ?

We are off to Athuruga on Sunday and was wondering if Euros were acceptable as tips as we have quite a few left over -we have always given dollars before .-thanks

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 235
1. Re: Has anyone given Euros as a tip ?

its a good Q as I have a stack of Euros but not many dollars and we go to Athuruga in a few weeks. Personally i would only take dollars as giving Euros might be a bit out of place. and would require a trip to the bank by the recipient

London, United...
reviews: 23
2. Re: Has anyone given Euros as a tip ?

Dollars is prefered, you can do it, but they then have to find a guest and change it,...we actually had this happen, where the room boy asked us to change some GBp to usd, as we were British. As we live in Brussels, we use euros as our home currency, but we changed it immediately for him and gave him a 200percent exchange rate:))

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
reviews: 64
3. Re: Has anyone given Euros as a tip ?

not sure about Athuruga, but it happend on Filitheyo that when we asked our roomboy if he mind euros he said they even prefer Euros because they can get a better exchange rate.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
reviews: 19
4. Re: Has anyone given Euros as a tip ?

its kind of like tipping in england with USD ... most service staff will take what they can get of course ... but ... why on earth would i insist on handing out dollars in manchester? .. or euros left from my side trip to greece ... or whatever?

the staff can likely exchange the odd currency (notes only) on their hotel counter .. but they'll take the hit on the exchange

UK
reviews: 28
5. Re: Has anyone given Euros as a tip ?

We've tipped in dollars, euros and pounds sterling in the past. The staff didn't mind which currency at all, as most of them went to Male on their days off and were able to get good exchange rates at the bank.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
reviews: 19
6. Re: Has anyone given Euros as a tip ?

delta ... that might apply to the staff on islands close to male . i still question why we would want to tip in a currency that is useless to the staff unless they can journey to a bank and then eat the loss in the conversion and bank charges? a tip is supposed to be something nice to them .. not an extra chore .... just sayin'

does any of you tip the waiter in england with leftover vacation currency? i honestly do wonder how that would be received in a random small village in the cotswolds.

anyhow ... the OP is already gone.

London, United...
reviews: 23
7. Re: Has anyone given Euros as a tip ?

I agree with spammie here and the staff are just being nice as obviously a tip in a foreign currency is better than no tip at all, and no one wishes to be ungrateful.

Tip in the currency they prefer, USd or Mvr.

You don't tip in other currencies when tipping at home, with the line, "well they can just change it at the bank " and no reason to do it on holiday either, thinking its ok there but not at home.

It's like going to the USA, giving the waiter a bunch of gbp and saying " hey mate, the exchange rate is good, once you pay commission, whats left is better than I would ever have given you in your local currency". What's the poor guy going to say,, "yes, I really mind, could you not bother, thanks anyway"?

8. Re: Has anyone given Euros as a tip ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, September 26, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Southern Ari Atoll