We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beads, batik sarawak

Which Kuching hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Malaysia
reviews: 39
beads, batik sarawak

Any updates on the best place to get good beads souvenirs and batik sarawak?

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
reviews: 216
1. Re: beads, batik sarawak

What do you mean by updates?

Have you searched before and want something better? Main bazaar and india st are good starting points. Unika Borneo (2 branches - wayang st and main bazaar) is a stand out shop in my opinion and worth checking out too.

Malaysia
reviews: 39
2. Re: beads, batik sarawak

Thank you for your reply.:) yup, I have searched before in this forum and the post was sometime ago. OK, will try your suggestion

Kuching, Malaysia
reviews: 7
3. Re: beads, batik sarawak

KR had given the right locations for buying beads and batiks. But for viewing of exquisite collections of native beads and pua kumbu (Iban natives' traditional woven fabric for decoration), do visit the Textile Museum Gallery at the Tun Jugah shopping mall right opposite the Grand Magherita Hotel, use the lift and go to level 4.

Palm Cove, Australia
reviews: 11
4. Re: beads, batik sarawak

Hi Navia K

I was in Kuching last May and beads and textiles were high on my shopping list.

I found my favorite beads at the shop in the Textile Museum - the owner of the shop, Juliana I recall, has won lots of awards for her bead work and will even make to order if you have something in mind. I also found some (much admired at home) necklaces from the Orang Ulu tribe at the shop in the Ethnological Museum. There was a wholesale shop selling tourist products near the start (end away from India St) of Carpenter Street with a whole wall of beads. I didn't buy any but did buy some tablemats which I am very happy with.

I didn't find a lot of batik - I don't think its a local tradition but did manage to buy two pieces from Fabriko in India St. One was from Indonesia! and the other was a beautiful silk sarong featuring a Sarawak design.

Happy shopping.....

5. Re: beads, batik sarawak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:33 am, September 04, 2014