We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family of 3, close to good eating places

Which Kuching hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Malaysia
reviews: 42
Family of 3, close to good eating places

We are a New Zealand family of 3, living in Miri, it is our first trip to Kuching, going beginning of July.

We would like to stay in an apartment or family room (don't want connecting rooms) with our 14 yr old son.

We would like to spend no more than 450rm per night (b/fast included) and would like free wi-fi and a swimming pool.

We would like to be close enough to the waterfront to be able to walk to restaurants for dinner, we especially love seafood and Italian food.

Thanks in advance.

7 replies to this topic
Auckland Region...
1. Re: Family of 3, close to good eating places

Kia ora Mirikiwi,

We stayed recently in one of the Ariva gateway hotel two bedroom apartments recently. I think it would pretty much tick every box you have mentioned aside from the breakfast requirement. Although breakfast is complimentary, do yourself a favour and eat somewhere else. It was easily the worst food we had while in Sarawak.

Regards,

Michael

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 42
2. Re: Family of 3, close to good eating places

I second the vote for Ariva - right next door to Top Spot :)

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
reviews: 216
3. Re: Family of 3, close to good eating places

Not many places fit that bill in Kuching really, its not known for its 'apartment' style holiday accommodation. Therefore the above suggestions might be your best option.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
reviews: 216
4. Re: Family of 3, close to good eating places

Of course, have a read through these reviews and you might spot something else that takes your fancy

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g298309-Kuching_Sar…

kuala lumpur
reviews: 38
5. Re: Family of 3, close to good eating places

Fully recommend the riverside majestic.stayed there last week. Four of us. Me and wife.my 9 year old daughter and my 74 year oldmum. Took a business suite ie 2 large rooms for abt 400.00 . I am sure one will be able to get 2 similar rooms for 200 something each. Good hotel very close to the waterfront and the restaurants.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 10
6. Re: Family of 3, close to good eating places

Ariva might suit you. The breakfast is below average. The lobby is on the 4th floor so you have to get 2 lifts to your apartment. We got a Premier apartment RM280 a night, 2 bedroom apartments, 2 bathrooms/toilet. Lounge, dinning & kitchen. We didn't use the kitchen. The room are a bit old & worn but they are renovating at the moment. The views over the city are exceptional and a good size pool to cool down again with great views. Top spot 2 mins away, waterfront 5mins walk. 5 foot long & Cheeky Monkey bars about 2-3mins away. 7/11 3mins walk. Its very central.

Kuching, Malaysia
reviews: 29
7. Re: Family of 3, close to good eating places

Grand Magherita ( it used to be Holiday Inn) would also fit your bill.Just ensure you ask for the suite facing the river. It is part of the Golden Triangle, so you can't go wrong and they do include breakfasts in their rates. But if you are adventurous, just across the hotel are many eateries selling local food for breakfast , lunch and dinner or if you need something familiar, there's Macdonald's directly opposite the entrance!Topspot , where tourists love to gather in the evenings for their seafood is just across a junction as well. The locals prefer other seafood restaurants which tend to be cheaper than Topspot eg See Good ,off Jalan Ban Hock ( which is about 10-15 mins walk from the hotel)or Pending seafood center ( where you will need to take a cab)

Kuching isn't well known for its Italian cuisine but you could get quite good fusion cuisine within walking distance.- BLAH BLAH BLAH AND Junk to name a few. Toms, on Jalan Padungan, a stones throw from Macdonalds is good for their western cum fusion food and they have wonderful cakes to end the meal. The only Italian restaurant around the vicinity would be in Hotel Palace Merdeka - Ristorante Beccari - its walkable (at least a good 20 mins)although it might be better to grab a cab there. They do wood fired pizzas but they are not cheap.

Have a good trip!

Reply to: Family of 3, close to good eating places
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted