We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tweak my itinerary - Kuching/Bako/Mulu/KL

Which Sarawak hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
reviews: 43
Tweak my itinerary - Kuching/Bako/Mulu/KL

I am trying to organise the middle of our itinerary to include Bako & Mulu over 4 or 5 days. I am having difficulty interpreting the airline schedules between Kuching/Miri/Mulu, as well as understanding how much time I should allow in each area, as well as transit.

At the moment we have a few days in Kuching before heading out to Bako. The plan is something like:

Wednesday - midday depart Kuching for Bako, do boat/afternoon walk to/from waterfall & beaches, early evening wildlife spotting etc. Overnight BNP.

Thursday - another chance to spot some wildlife, early morning nature walk? Return to Kuching for flight to Miri (AirAsia 1200-1305) connect to MAS Miri/Mulu (1350-1420) Checkin Mulu NP, afternoon walks to (Deer & lang ??) caves, even viewing of bat exodus?

Friday : More Caves (Clearwater, Moonmilk & Wind)? Canopy Walk?

Saturday : Mulu to Miri (0930-0950) Day at leisure in Miri or fly direct to KL for our final days????

So - will it be possible to squeeze all this in? Are these flight schedules achievable?

Any suggestions for particular walks etc greatly appreciated. I expect there would be some local markets and general sight seeing in Miri to make it worth exploring on Saturday, so it should be worth us spending the extra day here before moving onto KL -yes?

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
reviews: 218
1. Re: Tweak my itinerary - Kuching/Bako/Mulu/KL

You wont have much time to walk on the morning you depart Bako. You could walk to Paku beach which is about 45 mins each way from the Park HQ. Depending on mode of transport from Bako village (public bus, taxi?) you will probably need to get boat from Bako HQ at latest 9am. Public buses are on the half hour every hour from Bako Village to Kuching.

Don't know your fitness levels however some other interesting walks are the Lintang trail (loop) which takes 3-4 hours, and the walk to Kecil beach (which is nice for swimming at) this takes about 3 hours round trip. Bring suncream and a hat for these walks as some parts have no shade.

Most wildlife in terms of monkeys, is nowadays spotted close to park HQ. Nice to see but not exactly a challenge as it once was for certain things (such as the Proboscis)

Flights wise, personally I'd want more time between arriving and leaving Miri after Kuching. 45 mins 'might' be ok with no delays. However, Air Asia does experience delays like many airlines - and is also known to reschedule flights at late notice - which could disrupt your onward plans somewhat. If you also have baggage to collect, you would again struggle to make the onward flight.

One afternoon in Miri is probably enough time to get a feel for the place. Centre is compact and there isn't a great deal to see IMO - but fine for a few hours - although depends how much time you have to spend in KL also.

Kuching, Malaysia
reviews: 8
2. Re: Tweak my itinerary - Kuching/Bako/Mulu/KL

I am assuming that you arrive Kuching on Tuesday and have cover the city itself, so I would suggest your itinerary like this:-

(I am just touching on the logistics not the attraction)

Wednesday: Depart morning 8.00am from the city so you'd have a full day in Bako. Overnight at Bako NP.

Thursday: Early morning take boat back to Kuching, get a taxi standby on Wenesday to meet you at the Bako jetty to take you straight to the airport for the 10.50am flight from Kuching to Mulu via Maswings ( check here http://maswings.com.my/flights.html ) thus bypassing Miri. Overnight at Mulu NP.

Friday: Full day in Mulu NP

Saturday: Mulu to Miri (10.10am), or Kota Kinabalu (14.40hrs), overnight at either cities or take the plenty connecting flights (esp. from KK) to Kuala Lumpur on the same day.

Have fun!

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
reviews: 56
3. Re: Tweak my itinerary - Kuching/Bako/Mulu/KL

agree with the above PLUS - you have not said when? Time of year can make a big difference as storms can impact on Bako boat travel and result in flight delays etc.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
reviews: 43
4. Re: Tweak my itinerary - Kuching/Bako/Mulu/KL

Thanks for the replies everyone - I actually did reply to this a few days ago, but somehow its not been posted?!

Laksarawak, we do arrive in Kuching on Monday, so we have a couple of days to explore that area.

As it turns out on Wednesday we will now take a mid afternoon flight to Miri, over night in Miri, before taking the first flight to Mulu on Friday morning. This will give us all of Friday at Mulu, overnight with MNP and then depart at around 1430 to spend Saturday afternoon & a night in Miri. Then fly to KL on Sunday.

We have plenty of time and we would rather not be rushed and stressing about whether we are going to get to our flights on time, so I think this revised plan should work for us.

5. Re: Tweak my itinerary - Kuching/Bako/Mulu/KL

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 02, 2013