We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kk itinerary help

Which Kota Kinabalu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Poland
reviews: 2
Kk itinerary help

Hi all,

I am visiting kk next month for 1 week. i will be staying at gaya centre hotel. My questions are :

1) where can I rent a car? I plan to rent for 2 days to go out of KK

2) My bf is going to climb Mont. Kinabalu and we plan to drive there. What time we should start driving from kk?

3) I am just going to drop him at Mont .Kinabalu and go back to KK. What can i do around Mont. Kinabalu for a day trip before going back KK?

4) We have a flight at 15:40. I plan to go "monsopiad culture village + Dongguan Market " in the early morning before our flight. I plan to rent a car. Will we manage to catch our flight? as I am not sure how far it the place and how long will it take.

Thank you in advanced for your help :)

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 246
1. Re: Kk itinerary help

Hi

Depending on the time of day 1.5-2.5 hours is more than enough during off peak traffic but if you were catching a flight you'd want to allow a good 3.5hours in case you hit traffic or an accident. You could leave earlier and relax or you could leave later and allow for more time in the car.

If you're not climbing the mountain, you can do a lot of walks in the national park. I'd recommend one of the longer ones were you actually climb a bit and get to see and appreciate the mountain more in its beauty at the park. Ask at the visitors centre for more information when you get there and pay for a vehicle pass to enter the park. Once you've done that you can stop by Ranau to see some of the markets there or stalls depending on the day of the week you visit. Then finish at Poring for the day before returning to KK and soak up your feet at Poring for the afternoon and do a few more walks around there.

For rental cars I highly recommend JC Car Rentals. They can supply a newer 4door 1.6L Saga with good features for around 120-160 RM a day including GPS and FULL insurance. He's a very reasonable man and will offer more than competitive prices. He even dropped off and picked up the vehicle for me after hours and the hiring process was super efficient. I would thoroughly recommend him. If you bargain, tell him the guy who left his souvenirs and magnet in his car said he would look after you.

SMS : Jeffrey 019 8603246

Jeffreycheng3246@yahoo.com.

In the end hiring a car and paying a little more was much more worth it for the convenience then wasting time, sitting in a bus and worrying. Plus, I got to drive around KK and other areas too making travel much easier than getting a taxi and back from the airport at 75RM..

If you're after cheaper rental there are a few, and one in particular has a very bad reputation. They might offer cheaper prices but they're very unreliable and are often sold out. I know some will advertise a locally made old car with a small 0.8L engine for around 100-120RM but they usually don't include the full insurance. I was happy to pay a bit more for something that is newer, more reliable, including the GPS AND full insurance.

I think I got what I paid for and he was able to pick me up and return the car at the airport after business hours inclusive of my price so I can't complain!

I've never heard of Dongguan market so I might have to ask around for that one next time I'm going for a day trip in the area but the cultural village is south of KK and is only 15 minutes from the city centre if you take the A1 along Jls. Lintas and Putatan. So depending har far dongguan market is, you should have enough time if you leave by 12:15pm.

2. Re: Kk itinerary help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, January 25, 2015