We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Kota Kinabalu to Lawas?

Which Kota Kinabalu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maidenhead, United...
reviews: 4
Driving from Kota Kinabalu to Lawas?

Hi

I am visiting KK in August 2014. I would like to rent a car from the Airport and drive to Lawas.

Please can you give any advice on doing this... condition of the roads, safety, timings, potential problems, best places to rebt a decently maintained, safe car...

Thanks in advance

Paul

3 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 200
1. Re: Driving from Kota Kinabalu to Lawas?

Hi Paul

I did trip from Brunei - KK a little long time ago. Probably around 2010. From memory if you have driven on mountain roads you will be fine. If not, just slow down and take it easy it's not dangerous in my opinion, pretty safe if you drive during the day and pay attention.

If I remember correctly the trip to KK was under 1.75 hours from the Sabah border. The road started in average condition and 2 lanes (one lane each direction) with no middle barrier to multilane and better condition after Sipitang. I'm pretty sure the roads from Lawas - KK were sealed.

You will need to stop for immigration at the border. I think I had some roadworks outside of Beaufort but plenty of warning with the signs.

If you are a confident or reckless driver you can easily average 75-85km/h or more for the trip. The roads are mostly straight enough for overtaking and not overly crowded.

When passing lawas don't forget to check out the river and the awot awot forest.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 200
2. Re: Driving from Kota Kinabalu to Lawas?

I forgot, if you're looking for rental car in KK there is lots of companies to choose from.

I highly recommend JC Car Rentals in KK. They can supply a newer 4door 1.6L Saga with good features for around 120-160 RM a day including GPS and FULL insurance. He's a very reasonable man and will offer more than competitive prices. He even dropped off and picked up the vehicle for me after hours and the hiring process was super efficient. I would thoroughly recommend him. If you bargain, tell him the guy who left his souvenirs and magnet in his car said he would look after you.

Jeffrey: 019 8603246

Jeffreycheng3246@yahoo.com.

If you're after cheaper rental there are a few, and one in particular has a very bad reputation. They might offer cheaper prices but they're very unreliable and are often sold out. I know some will advertise a locally made old car with a small 0.8L engine for around 100-120RM but they usually don't include the full insurance. I was happy to pay a bit more for something that is newer, more reliable, including the GPS AND full insurance. The car was very new 1 year old, well equipped with air-con and centrol locking and foglights.

I think I got what I paid for and he was able to pick me up and return the car at the airport after business hours inclusive of my price so I can't complain! If you are doing long trips, you are best paying a few dollars more to get better cars and service.

Maidenhead, United...
reviews: 4
3. Re: Driving from Kota Kinabalu to Lawas?

Thank you so much for your advice, I will definitely give JC car rentals a call.

All the best, Paul

Reply to: Driving from Kota Kinabalu to Lawas?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted