We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rafflesia

Which Kota Kinabalu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bandar Seri...
reviews: 23
Rafflesia

Hi,

My kids are learning about the world's largest flower - Rafflesia - which can only be found in Borneo Island. I will be traveling to KK in Dec. Do you know where I can find Rafflesia in KK? Thanks.

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
reviews: 68
1. Re: Rafflesia

The rafflesia flower can also be found elsewhere other than Borneo. We even have it here in peninsular malaysia.

However the rafflesia only grows in the jungle. You wont find it in KK which is after all a city.

There is a rafflesia centre near Tambunan, about 1 hours drive from KK. Call ahead to ask if there are rafflesia's in bloom.

Alternatively I have seen rafflesia's on the way to Poring. Enterprising villagers have put signboards along the road. For a fee they will take you for a short trek into the jungle if the flower is in bloom.

Edited: 2:14 am, July 05, 2013
Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
reviews: 93
2. Re: Rafflesia

Hi Cindyliew,

I would suggest for you to take your kids to Tambunan for rafflesia. It requires to do a little trekking to get to it but the experience is wonderful.

3. Re: Rafflesia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 08, 2014