We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nexus, Rasa Ria, or STAR

Which Kota Kinabalu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Devon
Nexus, Rasa Ria, or STAR

I intended to book myself and my two kids (11 and 9 years) into Rasa Ria after a trip to oz and NZ. We were attracted by the onsite Orang Utan sanctuary but have been told that building going on and been offered Nexus or Shangri La Tarung Aru instead. Which would be best?

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
reviews: 81
1. Re: Nexus, Rasa Ria, or STAR

Thie building extensions at Rasa Ria are being blown out of all proportion. They are at the southern end of the resort, well away from al facilities. Check recent posts on this forum from people who have stayed at the Rasa RIa since the work began and I think you will find that they have no problem.

The Rasa Ria is a great hotel, I have stayed there 3 times in the last 3 years and as recently as March this year. There is lots to do on the resort with all the expected facilities plus the Orang Utans, hosre riding, fishing, boat trips, quad bikes etc etc. there is also a great beach which TA does not have and the staff are vey friendly. There are several shuttle busses a day into KK. The town of Tuaran is a bout a ten minute cab trip away with s Sunday market, shopping and cafes. There is a crocodile farm and two good seafood restaurants nearby.

South Australia
reviews: 13
2. Re: Nexus, Rasa Ria, or STAR

Hi Holly

I was concerned too, as we are staying at the Rasa Ria in July. I emailed the Rasa and they were extremely helpful - sent me a map of where the extensions are happening and I really think we wont even notice what is happening. None of the current facilities will be closed as the building is a completely new wing away from the current resort. For a family of four, Rasa sounds perfect! Cant wait!

Brisbane, Aust
3. Re: Nexus, Rasa Ria, or STAR

We are travelling to Sabah next month and the Nexus is apparently undergoing extensive renos, which will see parts of the pool and even the beach closed off. The response from a travel agent was to try somewhere else.

Brisbane, Aust
4. Re: Nexus, Rasa Ria, or STAR

I should have added that we have decided on the Rasa Ria and my advice would be the same of the other responses.

Sydney, Australia
5. Re: Nexus, Rasa Ria, or STAR

I stayed at the Rasa Ria 2 weeks ago while pile driving for the new wing was going on, and it was barely noticeable.

Aylesbury, United...
reviews: 16
6. Re: Nexus, Rasa Ria, or STAR

Just arrived back from Nexus. A new beach bar is being built, but is bearly noticeable even when sitting non the beach. No other building work going on as far as I could see. Excellent hotel on beach, with great staff , great food and lovely grounds.

7. Re: Nexus, Rasa Ria, or STAR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, August 12, 2009