We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Building work at rasa ria in november

Which Kota Kinabalu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 2
Building work at rasa ria in november

just had e mail from hotel long term work starts in nov on ocean wing ,we are going in november ,hotel says we will not suffer any noise or disturbance ,any views from anyone lucie

wellingborough
reviews: 21
11. Re: Building work at rasa ria in november

No,we decided on a complete change.We are going to stay on Tioman Island and Singapore for £1000 less !!!

Helsinki, Finland
reviews: 161
12. Re: Building work at rasa ria in november

Sounds good! Our flights cannot be changed any more, so KK it will be (in additition to Brunei, Yogyakarta, KL and Langkawi).

wellingborough
13. Re: Building work at rasa ria in november

Have a great trip wherever you stay !!

gloucestershire
reviews: 31
14. Re: Building work at rasa ria in november

My further update for eveyones benefit.

I have been in direct contact with Hotel manager. Ocean Wing is open as normal but will be close to the works. Works will be only from 9 to 6 so unless you plan to be in the room you will not notice the noise. If you sit by the ocean wing pool area you will notice noise however if you sit over in the garden wing area the noise would not be so intrusive.

Coast for breakfast will not be afffected an dis nice place to sit early morning. Remember there is a RM250 credit per day for food etc. On balance I do not see that the works will spoil the holiday especially as all works will have ceased at time of dinner etc.

I am taking the chance on the basis that I will be out golfing for at least 6 days of the 15 days there and other times out in KK.

I have stayed at RR Ocean Wing before and it is fantastic and only impact is not being able to enjoy the poolside service that it provides without noise.

If you are looking for alternatives there is Nexus, Sutera or other Shang in KK but none of which are as good as RR.

15. Re: Building work at rasa ria in november

I have booked to stay at the Shangri La Rasa Ria hotel in the Ocean Wing for honeymoon Aug 2013. I booked this mid September. However I was only notified of building works December 20th 2012! Can someone please let me know when the hotel announced building works?? I want to cancel my holiday and go elsewhere as I am not spending all this money to stay at a building site however the travel agents are refusing to cancel as apparently the flights have been ticketed, I am sure it wouldn't have been ticketed if I was told in September. They must have known about the building works when I booked in Sep 2012 yet that was omitted when I handed over my money. I am thinking of going to abta, can anyone advise?? Thanks

gloucestershire
16. Re: Building work at rasa ria in november

I was aware of this in late September.

Please note piling works will be finished by Feb 2013. My advice is to contact hotel direct who will give you an idea of the works progress.

wellingborough
17. Re: Building work at rasa ria in november

Robbie,

This is a copy of my email to Premier Holidays dated 28th Sept.

Sent: 28 September 2012 11:35

To: Tania Goodlet

Subject: RE: 827544‏

Dear Tania,

I feel i should clarify my situation re the Rasa Ria. Some years ago we had a fabulous 10 night stay here since when we have planned to return.On reading this:

"In our quest to continually improve our services and facilities, we are excited to announce that we will be extending the Ocean Wing facility commencing November 2012. Construction is expected to complete third quarter of 2014. The Ocean Wing extension will include an additional 81 guest rooms, a new lobby, spa as well as restaurant & pool."

on the hotel website you can imagine how we felt.In our opinion building virtually a complete new hotel does not constitute what ABTA would consider "minor refurbishment and maintenance work". The hotel also states this will cause us no disruption,well they would say that would'n't they.

From the ABTA website : If you’ve already booked your holiday and your ABTA travel company then becomes aware of building works that may reasonably be considered to seriously impair the enjoyment of your holiday, they must, without delay, notify you of the situation and offer you the opportunity to transfer to alternative accommodation. Where the alternative constitutes a significant change to your booking, they should offer you the option of canceling without penalty, or transferring to an alternative holiday, if available.

Premier did not inform us of construction work before or after booking and i do consider the amount of work planned at the Rasa Ria will impact on the quality of our holiday.

From another tour operator’s website reference the Rasa Ria : IMPORTANT BUILDING NOTE- From November 2012 through 2013 a further 81 additional rooms will be added to the Ocean Wing . This will be at the extreme end of the resort , so furthest away from the original garden wing and central facilities . It will be screened from view , although it will be noticeable , and audible in the first phase of construction , by those in the Ocean Wing or by those simply exploring the extensive grounds and beach front .

The same tour operator was aware of the building works on the 20th September,yet we were not informed of this.As of today still no mention of the work on your website !!

We have booked with you to stay at a 5* hotel not a 5* building site.Given all of the above I would consider a cancellation and full refund would be the next step.

Yours,Kim Bradshaw

I hope this is of some help.

gloucestershire
18. Re: Building work at rasa ria in november

It looks like you have been misled by the agent. To be honest the hotel has been upfront all along but we booked direct with them and not via an agent having stayed at RR a number of times before.

Although Ocean Wing is next to the works we were there at the worst time when piling was ongoing and although it was annoying it did not ruin the hol as this was only occuring during the day when at night peace resumed. Ocean Wing is fantastic and ideal for Honeymooners but come september it will be the main works being built but alot less noise and it will be screened off to an extent.

We did get compensation of 250 RM per day on all food and drinks etc so about £50 per day which did cut the costs alot. If you intend to sit by pool every day then you will notice some noise but if not it may not affect you.

Contact Randy Zapansky the General Manager or Salinah the Ocean wing Manager as they will be genuinely honest about the works.

I would also check what is happening re the changes to the pool in ocean wing as this was about to start last November.

If you want a good alternative try one of the better rooms at the Nexus resort although it is not quite as good as RR but of course will be better this time as no works there. Nexus has a fanatstic Golf course if that is what you want and resort is on a lovely stretch of beach. It is also only taxi ride away from RR where you could still dine as a change.

My advice is to seek compensation and at least check on what exactly is planned at the time of your visit before you cancel RR.

Other option is to have room at far end of resort top floor sea view where you will not really hear any noise. These rooms are all ok but just not quite the same as Ocean Wing.

Other options are Tanjung Aru in Kota Kinabalu or the Sutera Harbour.

Whatever you decide Sabah is great and you will enjoy.

Robbie

19. Re: Building work at rasa ria in november

Thanks Kim. Just out of interest when did you book? What tour operator did you book with? We booked with Thomson and they went through Hayes and Jarvis. Thomson are saying the were only told by Hayes and Jarvis 20th Dec 2012 then we were notified. I feel that I booked this is 18th September 2012 and building works started 1st Nov 2012 and I was told 20th Dec 2012 - that is not immediate notification of building works and they must have had it all planned in September to have started November. For a big travel operator like Hayes & Jarvis and a 5 star hotel like Rasa Ria I am extremely disappointment with the way I have been treated. To be told I can't get a refund is appalling. Robbie I have been told all sorts about when the building works are meant to finish, I don't think they have a clue and are playing down major building works. I contacted the Rasa Ria and they replied today knowing that I am booked for the Ocean Wing Aug 2013:

To share with you on the extension works progress, the Garden Wing that houses the Specialty suite, Executive suite, Superior Rainforest and the rest of the deluxe rooms would only be minimally affected by the works due to its distance from the site.

The Ocean Wing on the other hand would be affected by the works in terms of noise due to its proximity.

I agree Kim the hotel is very expensive and I booked a 5* hotel not a 5* building site. I think the least they should do is refund our deposit. After the way I have been treated I will never choose to visit this hotel or use Hayes & Jarvis ever again.

Thanks for your help, if I can prove they didn't tell me immediately I might get my deposit back through ABTA.

wellingborough
20. Re: Building work at rasa ria in november

We booked on the 18th Sept with Premier Holidays and we too have stayed at Rasa Ria before,fabulous.