We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Five days in MKB - how to pack it all in?!

Which Kota Kinabalu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
london
reviews: 2
Five days in MKB - how to pack it all in?!

We are off on our honeymoon in Australia in October and have just booked a great flight with a stopover in MKB. We love Malaysia and so are very excited to have this unexpected add on. We have been to Langkawi, Penang and KL before and so have some expectations of Sabah.

We would definately like to go to Sepilok (it has been a dream of ours to visit the sanctuary) and Turtle Island. What is the best way to see these? Overnight? If so, where is best to stay? Should we book a package or just book direct?

We were thinking of booking the Tanjung Aru honeymoon package as it seems such a great deal then travelling around a bit.

Do you think we would have time to visit Sipadan at all?

How about climbing MKB itself?

Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Kuching
reviews: 7
1. Re: Five days in MKB - how to pack it all in?!

Hello,

Congrats on your trip.

If it has always been a dream of yours to go to Sepilok I would recommend spending the night in Sandakan the day before so you can get the most out of it. This will allow you to get there early while the temps are still very nice and spend as long as you want. As far as booking I would do it all yourself. It is very easy to get the flight from KK to Sandakan. Once in Sandakan it is a short and inexpensive taxi ride to the sanctuary.

I believe the Tanjung Aru would be the best hotel for your trip. Its close to town so it will save some commute time and its one of the premier resorts in the area.

You should have time to take an island hopping snorkel tour as this can easily be done in a day.

I don’t think it will be best for you to climb Kinabalu, it would be possible though but it would take up every bit of your time as it takes 2 days to climb. Kinabalu, Sepilok, and Island tour would be too much for just 5 days in my opinion. You would be very tired and it could ruin your enjoyment of all the activities plus you would miss having the time to sightsee locally. Also I don’t recommend flying and climbing in so much such a short period. Altitude sickness could take effect.