We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to travel with children to Borneo?

Which Sabah hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 1
Is it safe to travel with children to Borneo?

We are thinking of travelling to Malaysian Borneo (Sabah) with our six year old daughter but wonder if she is too young? Our main concerns are leeches, dengue fever and malaria in the jungle. We will be going to Sepilok, Danum Valley, Kinatangan river and to finish off a few days on the beach at Kota Kinabalu.

If you have travelled with your children to Borneo (Malaysian or Indonesian part) would be great hear from you. In particular how old they were and what their experience was like.

5 replies to this topic
Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
reviews: 56
1. Re: Is it safe to travel with children to Borneo?

Travel with children is great fun in Malaysia (& Borneo). My son (now 26) was 2 years old when we first visited.

You will see lots of familys with children.

You do need to apply common sense - hand washing for example. Heat and sun - it's hot and the sun can burn quickly. Long sleves and long trousers help and, if in the jungle or remote areas, help protect against insect bites.

In 3 years time I will be taking my grandson on his first trip to the jungle - he will be 6 1/2 and I have no major concerns (other than how to keep him occupied while I enjoy a cold beer !!).

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 42
2. Re: Is it safe to travel with children to Borneo?

I took my boys 4&8yo last year to Kuching and out to the longhouse overnight. No probs at all and they loved it. The medical concerns you mentioned are no different for an adult or a child.

Port Stephens...
reviews: 12
3. Re: Is it safe to travel with children to Borneo?

Hi

Travelled in jun / jul with a friend combined we had 5 boys between 7 - 11 for 30 days. We visited both sabah & sarawak & included a variety of activities incl kayaking & jungle visits. We all survived with no major upsets. Rest assured a good safe time shall be had by all :-)

I would also trust advice from tn & esorglin they both helped me with planning my adventure

Relax, enjoy :-)

Cuneo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ko Tao
reviews: 40
4. Re: Is it safe to travel with children to Borneo?

Agree with the others, your children will be very happy!

Leeds, United...
reviews: 41
5. Re: Is it safe to travel with children to Borneo?

I travelled to Sabah for a month last spring with my 7 year old son, we had a wonderful time and it's a great place to take kids- they will receive a very warm welcome.

Here is the link to the report I wrote when we got back, it might give you an idea of the places we visited and the experiences we had. I did also write more detailed reviews for all the places we visited, but feel free to message me if you can't be bothered looking through!

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g2301905-i28009-…

Reply to: Is it safe to travel with children to Borneo?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted