We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting around Petrajaya

Which Putrajaya hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth
reviews: 30
getting around Petrajaya

We have 2 x one night stopovers in Malaysia before & after a trip to Laos and we're not that interested in staying in KL having been many times before. Our 4 flights in and out are all day time/evening times.

I'm looking into staying in Petrajaya for a relaxing change but read on one hotel feedback form that there are no taxis so you must have your own transport. Can this be true?

I was hoping to get from LCCT by train to Petrajaya and then taxi to the Pullman Petrajaya Hotel. It looks to be about 7 kms. Unfortunately, and not boding well for the hotel, they have not answered my 3 emails on this question! I see on their web site that they run some shuttles to a shopping centre nearby but it doesn't say whether the shuttles are complimentary for hotel guests and I don't want to be captive to some hotel 'mates taxi rates'.

10 replies to this topic
Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
reviews: 68
1. Re: getting around Petrajaya

There is a difference between pEtrajaya and pUtrajaya. pEtrajaya is a suburb in kuching, east malaysia, pUtrajaya is the administrative capital near kuala lumpur.

I think there's a taxi counter at putrajaya sentral where the train stops.

Maybe also keep this radio taxi company's phone number handy in case you need it. Not sure of their level of english though.

http://www.kppcb.com.my/

malaysiavacationguide.com/putrajaya-sentral.…

Perth
2. Re: getting around Petrajaya

Thanks a lot, yes I meant Putrajaya.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 21
3. Re: getting around Petrajaya

Hi,

I believe the shuttles r complimentary. All the big hotels run them...the shopping centre is Alamanda.

Re taxis - there are standard taxis and blue taxis. Standard taxis basically harder to get ie they dont respond to hotel requests, blue taxis do, but charge twice the flagfall at RM6, and the best thing is that u pay according to meter.

IMHO, Putrajaya is very similar to Canberra. Nice parks, lakes etc, but beyond that nothing much happening.

Perth
4. Re: getting around Petrajaya

Thanks so much shazam7, much appreciated!

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 16
5. Re: getting around Petrajaya

We had a short time to visit Putrajaya on the way to the airport to return home and found a way to 'do it' taking in the incredible views - from the lake.

At Putrajaya station, purchase a taxi voucher to the the Putra Mosque or, Masjid Putra, an incredibly large building - just as most of the buildings in Putrajaya are.

Then take a short stroll along the embankment to the Putra Bridge with architecture that blends with the imposing mosque, and it is beneath the arches of this bridge that the Tasik Cruise, or Lake Cruise ticket office can be found.

There are two types of tourist boats you can cruise the lake in, a large glassed-in vessel and several small traditional, Dondang Sayang Perahu, boats.

We took one of the smaller boats for a twenty-five minute serene trip down the lake to the incredibly huge Deputy Prime Minister's residence past the Astana, or King's Palace, and the Prime Minister's offices. Along the way we got close-up and personal with the Wawasa (vision) Bridge; The Sultan of Salangor's Summer Palace; The Kaleb Tasik (Lake Club) and other imposing buildings.

We then caught a taxi from the Mosque to the Shangri-la and relaxed with a cocktail before returning to KLIA.

Although short and sweet, those memories are fondly retained - however you decide to explore Putrajaya, I hope that you have a similar experience.

Cheers ツ

www.maudcameron.com

Perth
6. Re: getting around Petrajaya

I was overseas when your detailed account arrived - thanks so much for taking the time to write this information!

Ocala, Florida
reviews: 1
7. Re: getting around Petrajaya

Putrajaya is definitely one of the places I want to see on my 7 day trip to Kuala Lumpur. Looks fascinating.

As far as I can determine we take the train to Putrajaya station and then the bus from the station to downtown Putrajaya. I would also like to take the cruise around the lake. Want to see as much of the city as possible as we will spend a full day there in order to accomplish that.

The big thing seems to be getting around. I'm assuming that there must be regular buses that follow certain routes. If that is the case it should be fairly simple just to get on and get off buses when you want to see something. If there are not buses that follow set routes, then that leaves taxis. Are you able to hail a taxi like you do in KL? Do they use the taxi meters or do you have to negotiate with them?

As far as anyone knows are there any tours that originate in Putrajaya bedsides the ferry?

Would it be better, traffic wise, to go to Putrajaya on a weekend instead of a weekday?

I would rent a car, at the train station. However, am not sure about the British system of driving on the left.

Edited: 4:50 am, June 17, 2012
Ocala, Florida
8. Re: getting around Petrajaya

We took the KLIA Transit train form KL Sentral 2 stops to Putrajaya Sentral station. Got on board the government sponsored tour bus for a 2 1/2 hour guided tour of Putrajaya. Cost 1 Rm per person. This sponsored tour happens on weekends only, twice on Saturday and twice on Sunday. Mohammed Zan, one of the senior citizen employees of Putrajaya, gives an excellent tour that includes all of his in depth knowledge and experience with that city. Zan speaks very good English and is a perfect host. You can tell he really loves his city. Remember, he's doing this on his own time and for no compensation. Just take the KLIA Transit Train from KL Sentral to arrive at Putrajaya before the first tour at 11:30 am or the afternoon tour at 2:30 pm. When you get to Putrajaya walk up to the 2nd level and the INFO booth. Wait there for Mohammed to register you. By the way, Putrajaya station is much larger than I anticipated and is also the central bus station for all buses routing in the city. My wife and I really enjoyed seeing this beautiful and modern city with all of its advanced engineering and architecture. Quite a sight to behold.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 16
9. Re: getting around Petrajaya

Hi Dave H,

Great to hear about the bus tour... you've not actually hijacked this thread other than tagged on to the stale end of one: do do a JBR... we'd be delighted to hear!

Cheers ツ

www.maudcameron.com

Ocala, Florida
10. Re: getting around Petrajaya

If deciding to go to Kuala Lumpur and booking a hotel there, give great consideration to spending at least 2 nights in a Putrajaya hotel. There are two hotels in the city both of which are first class hotels and are very inexpensive. That way you can take your time to see this fascinating city which must be one of the wonders of the world. I have worked in engineering all of my life and I was awestruck by this place. Malaysia employed the best architects and engineers, from around the world, to build it. I think they spent over 8 billion dollars and quite a few years in construction. It will take your breath away and you will come away knowing that you have really seen something extraordinary in your travels.

Reply to: getting around Petrajaya
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted