We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pools in hotels around georgetown

Which George Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
melbourne
reviews: 14
pools in hotels around georgetown

hi fellow members,

I am a vivid bali visitor, after 26 trips over a span of 23 years, i have decided to try out penang, as noticed air asia has some really cheap return flights.............anyway......after searching around george town, i have noticed a lot of the budget hotels DON'T have swimming pools, which i find very strange............Does anyone know of cheap hotels that do have pools.......Any help would be greatly appreciated...

thanks

21 replies to this topic
Busselton, Australia
reviews: 174
1. Re: pools in hotels around georgetown

We will be staying at the 1926 Heritage Hotel for our first visit to Penang - it has a pool and our friends always stay at the Copthorne Orchid in Batu Ferrengi it also has a pool. We were not able to find a reasonable rate like we usually do in Thailand or Vietnam (these places being our usual haunts) like you with Bali but we decided that this Hotel was close to all the things that we wanted to look at and the public bus seems to be quite good. You do not say when you are going? We will be there at the end of November - school holiday time - not our usual choice but you cannot have everything. I hope you have a great time. It will be nice to try something new - mind you we have 3 weeks in Thailand before !!!

melbourne
2. Re: pools in hotels around georgetown

Thanks Keza,

am looking at going in march.....so used to going to bali in novemebr and march, so thought it may be low season in penang as well..........i did try phuket once, and didn't like it at all.................so thats turned me off thailand all together..................I have no understanding of the currency for malayasia, and some places advertise there rates in there money, so thats been confusing me................will keep looking around, and will check the hotel you mentioned...................thanks for taking the time in answering :)

vicki

Busselton, Australia
3. Re: pools in hotels around georgetown

No worries Vicki, try this for pricing it always helps me ( http://www.oanda.com/ ). We usually stay in Chiang Mai and that is a really beautiful place and if we decide we want a beach place - not that that bothers us as we live close to the sea here in WA. We usually go to Karon in Phuket as it is much quieter and more pleasant for us oldies (over 60). We are staying in 1926's corner room - a bit more expensive than we usually have but want to have room as we will be there for a week. Good luck.

melbourne
4. Re: pools in hotels around georgetown

Hello Again,

I checked out the hotel u mentioned, and its the type i stay in, not into 4 or 5 star hotels, and $43 a night is exceptable.doesn't say anything about breaky included on agoda................will check out other booking sites to see what i can find...............may i ask who u booked though......

again thanks

Nelson Bay...
Destination Expert
for Penang
reviews: 43
5. Re: pools in hotels around georgetown

A quick idea of the exchange of ringgit (MYR) to AUD$ is to divide by 3.

I have stayed at the Hotel Continental and found it to be good value. See review here: tripadvisor.com.au/…CHECK_RATES_CONT

Gaja

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang
reviews: 114
6. Re: pools in hotels around georgetown

Most of the budget hotels are in the smaller properties in Georgetown where there is simply no space for a pool. However the recently opened Glow hotel has a pool. Penang is always popular so don't expect to see a low season. What is it about Penang that you want to come for? It may be that you are looking for somewhere to stay in the wrong area. If you're after beaches and bars then you need to go to Batu Ferringhi. If you want heritage then Georgetown.

Busselton, Australia
7. Re: pools in hotels around georgetown

Just looked at Glow Hotel - the room size is quite small. 21sqm my hubby would not even consider unless it is 30sqm, and over $100 Australian is a little too much - not budget away from home for us anyways!

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang
reviews: 114
8. Re: pools in hotels around georgetown

If you're looking to spend under RM300 per night and want a pool your choice will be limited. At the moment, choosing November as a month to search, the Sunway is coming in at RM225 per night. Up on Gurney Drive you could stay in the highly rated Evergreen Laurel for RM216 per night, or go up to Tanjung Bungah to the Flamingo for RM199 per night. Glow by comparison is coming in at RM200. The Heritage corner rooms at the 1926 are RM250 per night booking on their own site, but they do have cheaper rooms. Come back if you want more information on any of the hotels.

BTW I'd avoid the Copthorn in Tanjung Bungah (it's not in Batu Ferringhi) as it has been sold and is going to be redeveloped into a 52 storey hotel. It's still open at the moment but you could book and then find it's been closed.

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
reviews: 66
9. Re: pools in hotels around georgetown

Noordin Mews has a pool.

10. Re: pools in hotels around georgetown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:05 am, June 22, 2014

Reply to: pools in hotels around georgetown
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted