We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we split our stay?

Which Georgetown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
reviews: 25
Should we split our stay?

We have 5 nights in Penang. Should we spend 3 nights in Georgetown and 2 in Batu Ferringhi or would it be easier just 5 nights in Georgetown?

We are not lay on the beach people, but thought BF may be nice for a change of scene, however is it worth the bother to change hotels?

Is 5 days enough time in Penang ? I had thought of visiting Lang Kawi for 2 nights instead of BF, but seems a lot of trouble with flights and transfers for only two nights.

Appreciate any advice as our first trip to Malaysia. Thanks Glennie

8 replies to this topic
Norfolk, England
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Batu Ferringhi, Chaweng, Ko Samui
reviews: 157
1. Re: Should we split our stay?

Hi

If you are not beach people then probably not worth the change of hotels. Although the night market is worth a visit.

5 days is about right to see the popular sights in Penang. Although more is always welcome.

2 nights in Langkawi is not really worth the half day getting there - it is very beach location an not much else.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
reviews: 47
2. Re: Should we split our stay?

IMO ....stay the five nights at Batu Ferringhi OR Tanjung Bungah...the latter putting you halfway between Georgetown and Batu Ferringhi... eg the Rainbow Paradise Beach Resort which would allow you to catch the Rapid Penang bus at the front door

Unfortunately do not think 5 nights is near enough .... wife and I are on our 27th trip ( next visit) and we always seem to be extending the stay with each visit

Kanchanaburi...
reviews: 24
3. Re: Should we split our stay?

Hi Glennie01, if you are not beach people, then staying in Georgetown would be much better. This allows you to travel around Penang Island easily and visit all the other attractions plus plenty of sampling of the different variety of food and shopping.

And I agree that 2 nights in Langkawi is really not worth the affect of all the travelling. Might as well spend those days in Penang itself.

Australia
4. Re: Should we split our stay?

Thank you everyone for your input. I was unable to decide what to do and driving myself crazy in the process.

I have now booked 5 days at Georgetown but intend visiting Batu Ferringhi for at least the afternoon and of course, the night market. I will have to lure my husband to the market as he certainly isn't a shopper and is generally one of those fellows that you see sitting patiently outside the shops minding the bags.

Glennie

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
reviews: 589
5. Re: Should we split our stay?

It really boils down to personal choice. I split my stay and for us it was a great choice.

Tommo

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 62
6. Re: Should we split our stay?

It's quite easy and affordable to do day trips from George town to batu feringgi. You can take a city bus around 60 min one way for 3.20 ringgit. I always just stay in George town

Penang Island...
reviews: 4
7. Re: Should we split our stay?

Batu Feringghi is essentially for people who love to laze on the beaches. The night market at BF is mega expensive. Since you have booked a place in Georgetown, you will have access to Rapid Penang (public bus). Go to Jalan Kuala Kangsar morning market - great food and you get to shop where locals shop - just be aware of pickpockets. If you love the historial aspect of Penang, you'll get to explore Georgetown.

Australia
8. Re: Should we split our stay?

Thank you Kimmy. Sounds good so we will definitely go there.

I am really looking forward to Penang as it looks extremely interesting....plus the food sounds good too.

Glennie

Reply to: Should we split our stay?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted