We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wheelchair at airport?

Which George Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
QUEENSLAND AUSTRALIA
reviews: 51
wheelchair at airport?

further to my post on disability in penang I was wondering if we need to arrange a wheelchair on arrival? we always arrange one at k/l lcct due to distance from plane to terminal and changi due to the size of the terminal, we are flying air asia and was wondering if they use aerobridges at penang or do you have to walk down steps off the plane and walk across the tarmac? does anyone know on this forum if air asia have decided to use the aerobridges at the new klia2?the last report I read said they were not going to use them due to the slow turnaround effect.

Edited: 8:34 pm, March 16, 2013
QUEENSLAND AUSTRALIA
1. Re: wheelchair at airport?

Sorry I forgot to say thank you.

Penang Island...
reviews: 9
2. Re: wheelchair at airport?

Hi

Air Asia does not use the aero bridges in Penang. There are two flights of stairs from the tarmac (about 12 stairs in each flight) and then a distance of about 150 metres to a down escalator to the baggage collection area.From there one walks out into the public area and the taxis are say a 10 metre walk.

As to KLIA 2 the last I heard (some months ago) was that Air Asia did not want to use the aero bridges. We will know for certain when it opens in late June.

QUEENSLAND AUSTRALIA
3. Re: wheelchair at airport?

El Dorado Traveller, Do you mean there are two flights of stairs from the plane down to the tarmac and then a 150 meter walk to the terminal? also is there an elevator in the terminal,at k/l lcct we use the elevator instead of the escalator as my wife has trouble stepping onto the escalator with her walking stick, she has trouble with her balance stepping onto a moving object,

Penang Island...
reviews: 9
4. Re: wheelchair at airport?

Hi (for Penang) The usual flight of steps down from the plane. You then walk about 20 metres to the terminal where there are two flights of stairs to the arrival section. From there you walk a maximum of 150 metres to the escalator down to the baggage claim area. There is a lift at this section if I remember correctly. (for Penang)

If you are at all concerned just ask for a wheel chair. The Air Asia staff are very helpful. You may also have notice that there is even a spot on the booking form where you can list special needs.

At the KL LCCT there is an escalator up to immigration and then an escalator down to the baggage claim area. Both have stair alternatives. There is a lift down to the baggage claim area. I have not seen the one up to the immigration area but I would be surprised if there is not one there.

Edited: 12:48 am, March 17, 2013
QUEENSLAND AUSTRALIA
5. Re: wheelchair at airport?

El Dorado Traveller, That makes it a lot easier thank you, the stairs down from the plane is ok, and the 20 meters or so to the terminal is no worries as is the 150 meters to the escalators, I would be surprised if there was not an elevator to take you down to baggage claim area, and yes there is an elevator at lcct which takes you up to immigration and then one to take you down to baggage claim, these short distances are no problem but at k/l lcct last year I requested a wheelchair on departure from singapore only to wait on the tarmac for 10 minutes and it did not show up, we had to walk I would say a good 1-2 klms in the heat and humidity from one side of the terminal right up and along and around to the other side then down to the gate, we had to stop on numerous occasions to rest , it took more than 30mins to reach immigration from when we landed, I fronted the young chaps at lcct who organise the wheelchairs re not showing up but they just shrugged their shoulders and said they had no booking, yet i stood there at changi when the girl organised it, many thanks

6. Re: wheelchair at airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 19, 2014