We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thaipusam festival @ 27th January

Which Georgetown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
western australia
reviews: 27
Thaipusam festival @ 27th January

Arriving in Penang on 21/01 for a big week, looking for information on Thaipusam festival

what's happening on which day ?

what is the best vantage point ?

any other tips ?

thanks

Nelson Bay...
Destination Expert
for Penang
reviews: 43
1. Re: Thaipusam festival @ 27th January

Frankie,

Here is a link to an article about the Thaipusam festival written by Penang Tourism: visitpenang.gov.my/portal3/penang-tourism-ne… . I will be near the junction of Waterfall Rd and Jalan Gottlieb along with about half a million others. It is then a short walk to the temple.

Gaja

Kuala Lumpur...
2. Re: Thaipusam festival @ 27th January

First of all "Welcome to Penang" . ^_^

Thaipusam will be on 27th January. So in penang the celebration begins on the eve of taipusam til evening of day after taipusam. That means 26th till 28th.

The best point to view everything wil be at the middle. The will have a small temple. Normally that will be the tourist stop as well. The "kavadis begin from Lorong Kulit up to Hill top temple.

I think if you want to see the kavadis and the crowd, you should be at the waterfall , at the small temple. Infront of Waterfall Hotel.

TIPS: Dont worry bout being thirsty or hungry. Unlimited drinks and food will be given along the waterfall road

Please be CAREFULL of pick pockets!!!

Make sure wear a good sport shoe. People will be blind on taipusam day. they will step on everything they can get.

careful of being to blend in with the crowd,sometimes there will be argument or fight on these days

have a pleasent trip :)

western australia
reviews: 27
3. Re: Thaipusam festival @ 27th January

thanks for the info, it looks like the waterfall is the spot to be !

I'll be there with the hordes

cheers

F

Petaling Jaya...
reviews: 17
4. Re: Thaipusam festival @ 27th January

Pop in to Little India first as there is a temple in Lebuh Queen(Queen street) where devotees carrying milk pots or kavadis are being prepared before starting their walk to the waterfalls. It is not crowded there. After that, you can continue to the waterfall area.

penang-traveltips.com/mahamariamman-temple.h…

Inverness
5. Re: Thaipusam festival @ 27th January

I want to go and see this too, any idea what time we should get to the waterfall area?

Penang, Malaysia
reviews: 24
6. Re: Thaipusam festival @ 27th January

Anytime is good; it's a whole day affair on 27th Jan; from morning to about 11 pm. Devotees carrying kavadis journey from the town temple to the waterfall temple. As they get to the end there are more of them concentrated at waterfall. There will be many stalls serving complimentary vegetarian food and drinks. Of course in the evening and night, it won't be so hot.

If you want to see the chariot arriving at the waterfall temple, be there around 9 pm on 26th Jan.

7. Re: Thaipusam festival @ 27th January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 27, 2014