We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Penang virigns

Which Georgetown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Halifax, United...
reviews: 111
Penang virigns

we have been to and loved Langkawi

we are now returning there and have also booked a few days in Penang this time

what do we do ??? what do we see ??

any tips would be very helpful

we are staying in Georgetown

thanks

Georgetown, Malaysia
reviews: 2
1. Re: Penang virigns

Hello.

Well, during the day, you can take a walk around the heritage site, the city centre. There are lots of historical sites and buildings, such as Fort Cornwallis, St. Georges Church, Beach Street (Lebuh Pantai in Malay, as shown on signboard, which is George Town's Central Business District) as well as mosques and temples, most of which are built during the British-era. You can also shop in the malls like 1st Avenue/Prangin Mall (KOMTAR), Gurney Plaza (which is further north), and Queensbay Mall (further south, away from town, in the industrial area, near the airport). You can travel easily to any of these malls taking Rapid Penang (public bus) from the hub in Weld Quay.

You might also want to take a ferry ride across the channel to the mainland. The ferry terminal is located just behind Rapid Penang's hub in Weld Quay. Crossing towards the mainland is free, and costs RM 1.20 to return to the island.

Penang Hill is also a must-visit while you are here. Penang Hill is located in Air Itam, which is in the centre of the island and takes about an hour bus ride to get there. You will then go up the hill using the funicular train. The air is cooling up there and you will get to enjoy the view of the eastern coast of the island, as well as the mainland.

In Penang, you will never every go hungry, as food courts and hawker stalls selling world-famous dishes can be found just about anywhere, especially at night (Penang is also known as the food capital of Malaysia). During the day, the place you should be found having your meal is at Sri Weld Food Court, located in Beach Street, surrounded by banks and offices. At night, delicious food can be found along Macalister Road (Jalan Macalister), near KOMTAR (tallest building in Penang, very prominent landmark) and in Chinatown, around Kimberley Street (Lebuh Kimberley), which is just across the road from KOMTAR. Bear in mind that some very good food are also found away from Town, near the airport, where tourist don't usually go, only the locals.

If you fancy bars and clubs, the place to be is Upper Penang Road, within the city itself, or in Straits Quay, up north. There is also a new eco theme park, ESCAPE, that just opened not long ago. It is located in Teluk Bahang, in the north west of island. You can opt to go there if you have a free day to spare.

Here are some useful websites of places I mentioned, as well as the public bus.

Rapid Penang: http://www.rapidpg.com.my/

Penang Hill: http://www.penanghill.gov.my/

ESCAPE: http://www.escape.my/

Although all that I said are just a few things you can do here, you can learn more here: http://www.visitpenang.gov.my/portal3/ or http://www.tourismpenang.net.my/

All the best planning!

Norfolk, England
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Batu Ferringhi, Chaweng, Ko Samui
reviews: 157
2. Re: Penang virigns

Please don't come expecting Langakwi. Very different!

Great list of things to do from Adrian. You can also look in the left hand panel of this page and check out the ‘Travel Guide’ / ‘Inside Guides’ and ‘Things To Do’ which list lots of pointers of what to see and where to go as well as other information like restaurants,

<---------------------------

then on the right check out FAQs / top questions about . . . . . .

--------------------------->

If you are accessing via the smart phone app’ you won't see the panel on the left or the FAQs, so suggest that you switch your phone to full site mode or head to a laptop or pc to enjoy the information that has been collected. The Top Questions / FAQs ---> are on the right of all forum pages!

Have fun!

Halifax, United...
3. Re: Penang virigns

wow that is brilliant thanks

im going to print page out so we dont miss anything

Perth, Australia
reviews: 202
4. Re: Penang virigns

Have to agree, that Penang is the food capital of Malaysia.

At night there is a food hawkers open in Batu Ferringhi called Long Beach, the food there is fantastic. Dont worry about the plastic tables and chairs, its the quality of the food that makes this place.

There is also lots of very good restaurants in the same strip amongst the night markets.

Suggest you read any JBRs about Penang, lots of helpful information here.

Penang Island...
reviews: 93
5. Re: Penang virigns

One additional tip. If you get along well with a taxi driver (should be common to find one who speaks decent English and is helpful), get his Handphone Number so that you can hail him again (especially for return trips). Many visits are facilitated with a good driver.

I currently use one by the name of Azman: 016-484-6001

I found him when I needed a ride from Dalat School, and the front office called him for me.

He is safe (drives cautiously), friendly and chatty but not intrusive, and recommends after asking questions to get to know you and what you like. When I ride with him I ask him a plethora of questions about what he recommends.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
reviews: 47
6. Re: Penang virigns

you should also visit the red Gardens Hawkers Centre in Georgetown where you will find a great choice of food as compared to Long Beach ...do not get me wrong ...the wife and I always visit Long Beach on our Yearly visit to Penang ...but Red Garden does have a bigger selection of stalls

western australia
reviews: 27
7. Re: Penang virigns

just back from a big week in Penang, went to the red garden several times and it was excellent, highly recommended. For great food and service do not miss Tek Sen in Carnavon st, their home specail pork dish is to die for

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
reviews: 47
8. Re: Penang virigns

good to get your feed back

Halifax, United...
9. Re: Penang virigns

it seems by all replies we could be eating a lot in Penang !!! can't wait

Georgetown, Malaysia
reviews: 2
10. Re: Penang virigns

Absolutely. When someone mentions Penang, the first thing that comes to mind is the food! Penang food should never ever be missed.