We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is one week in Georgetown too long?

Which Georgetown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Delta, BC, Canada
reviews: 50
Is one week in Georgetown too long?

We are thinking of visiting Georgetown for one week at the end of Feb. 2013. Will that be too long to see the sights and experience the food culture?

Since we are a newly retired couple on a tight budget, we wanted to find lodgings for no more than $50/night. So far, Tune Hotel, Chulia Heritage Hotel and Ryokan Chic Hostel seem to fit our requirements. Which of these three would be a better choice(close to sights and good food)? Or, would you recommend a different hotel to stay?

As an alternative, we'd like to look for a one bedroom vacation rental but TA's choices don't fit the bill. Do you know of any other vacation rental websites?

Thank you in advance for your advice,

Chiqui

Nelson Bay...
Destination Expert
for Penang
reviews: 44
1. Re: Is one week in Georgetown too long?

Welcome to the Penang Forum Chiqui,

Plenty to do in 1 week. Just back from a 8 day visit and there was something to do each day.

Having stayed in a Tune Hotel recently, I would not recommend it for a stay of more than one night. There is little room for your suitcases and no hanging space for your clothes apart from two coat hangers screwed to the wall. IMO it is great for sleeping and that is all. Not familiar with the two other establishments.

You could have a look at Hotel Continental which is at the top end of Penang Rd, the main street in Georgetown and close to the heritage area and many fine food outlets.

I noticed that Sri Sayang had a sign advertising single apartments at Batu Ferringhi for RM$118 a night.

Gaja

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
reviews: 46
2. Re: Is one week in Georgetown too long?

for round the RM250.00 ..RM300.00 you can get a one bedroom suite at the Rainbow Paradise Beach resort which is right on the beach and located half way between Georgetown and Batu Ferringhi and giving you the best of both

Great swimming pool to cool off in after a days trip out

everywhere
reviews: 32
3. Re: Is one week in Georgetown too long?

hi..i just made my first trip to penang and chose georgetown...the hotels you mentioned are budget hotels in my opinion. the choice of a hotel is subjective but the bayview i think is a better choice for you. one week is plenty,

if i can give you other advice, please send me an email via trip advisor

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang, Kuala Lumpur
reviews: 20
4. Re: Is one week in Georgetown too long?

Hi Chiqui,

You'll easily be able to fill a week in Georgetown. Do some research to find out what it is you want to see and do, and you'll definitely have no excuse for not having a fantastic holiday.

We love staying in Georgetown, it is great to just walk out the front door of your hotel and be right in the midst of the action. It's easy to get anywhere else on the island from Georgetown using the great Rapid Penang bus system. There is an abundance of choices for food. Many many sights are within easy walking distance, and if you don't want to walk there is a free shuttle bus service.

One website we often recommend for all things Penang is http://www.penang-traveltips.com/ - the author, Timothy Tye, has put a LOT of time and effort into this page, and it is truly an awesome source of information.

For accommodation, with a budget of $50 you're looking at around RM150 per night. Depending on what you need in terms of accommodation, two places we can recommend that come in well under your budget are:

- Hutton Lodge ( http://www.huttonlodge.com/ ) has rooms with shared and ensuite bathrooms. A private double will set you back RM100 per night which includes a light breakfast (though there is a great Nasi Kandar restaurant across the road which is a tasty breakfast choice). Rooms are air-conditioned, very clean, but compact. They don't include a fridge, TV or in room safe, and aren't serviced daily. Hutton Lodge is in a restored colonial mansion. It is a beautiful building, the decor is simple, and the hostel is very clean. It's in a great location in the heritage buffer zone (only a couple of minutes walk to Penang Road including a bus stop that most buses to various parts of the island stop at). Plenty of choices nearby for food, shopping, and close to the heritage sights. This is a link to a review we posted after we stayed at Hutton Lodge: tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g660694-d101…

- Hotel Mingood ( http://www.hotelmingood.com/ ) is a great little hotel and is now our choice in Georgetown for location, comfort, and price (it's about 3 minutes walk from the aforementioned Hutton Lodge). You can get rooms for RM80 per night through http://www.hostelbookers.com/ - cheaper than booking through the hotel's own website . The room rate includes a simple breakfast, and free wifi internet. Rooms are large, clean, include a fridge, in room safe, and TV. The furniture and fittings are rough around the edges but clean (eg. the towels are grey through repeated washes, but they're clean). If you're lucky your room may even include a small balcony! The hotel also has a rooftop "garden" and a pool table in the dining room (also on the rooftop). This is a link to a review we posted after staying at Hotel Mingood: tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g298303-d616…

Regarding apartment rentals, you can get cheap accommodation on week days at the Sri Sayang building on Batu Ferringhi as mentioned above, but keep in mind that the cheap rooms are the managed apartments which generally get terrible reviews (as opposed to the privately owned apartments which are more expensive, but of a much higher standard). We've stayed in apartments owned by two ladies which were absolutely lovely, however they are beyond your budget (and we believe once a budget is set, sticking to it is kinda important as you don't want to get home from your holiday and be stressing about how much you've spent).

To help out with research on apartment options, here are some other sites you can check out:

- Villa Renters: www.villarenters.com/searchresults.aspx…

- Self Catering Breaks: self-catering-breaks.com/Properties/Malaysia/

- Holiday Lettings: www.holidaylettings.co.uk/penang-island/

Also have a look at:

- Hostel Bookers (they do hostels and some hotels, no booking fee): http://www.hostelbookers.com/

- Hostel World (as above, hostels and some hotels, though note Hostel World charges a booking fee): http://www.hostelworld.com/

- Agoda: http://www.agoda.com/

- Hotels.com: http://www.hotels.com/

- AsiaRooms: http://www.asiarooms.com/

- Wotif (bookings up to 6 months in advance): http://www.wotif.com/

Good luck planning your holiday :o)

Lise & Sabrina

Edited: 9:25 am, October 10, 2012
perth
reviews: 5
5. Re: Is one week in Georgetown too long?

G'day.Normally I stay at the Bayview in Georgetown.I don't have any complaints about the hotel itself or the location,just the fact that I have to virtually lay my life on the line trying to cross Jalan Farhquar during peak hour traffic.

Anyway,to make a short story long,either the Continental or the Malaysia Hotels would be fine.I haven't heard toooo many first hand grumbles about either.The location is good with the Red Garden food court right next door and nearly every site within walking distance.Also I haven't heard any first hand moans and groans about the Cititel either.

As I said earlier I usually stay at the Bayview,but this Christmas will be staying at the chulia Heritage.Simply means I don't have so far to stagger after falling out of the Hong Kong Bar at 2 in the morning.Hope you enjoy your stay.

G'day Gaja,hope you had a fin e one.

Happy trails.

Penang
Destination Expert
for Penang Island
reviews: 1
6. Re: Is one week in Georgetown too long?

Budget USD 50/night

You can opt for :

Central Hotel (sentral hotel georgetown) 3 star ~ USD 37 (promotion at agoda)

Chew Jetty Vacation (Service House -wooden, on top of the beach) -USD 22

Heritage Hotel (Ex- british colonial home) - USD 35

Twelve Inn Boutique - USD 27 (15 % discount at Agoda for early booking)

Hydro Hotel -USD 50 (nice hotel, but a bit run down. changed management which is better than previous)

Naza Talya resort -USD 39 (quite nice, location wise)

Bao Sheng Durian Farm -USD 22 (on top of hill, durian orchard) - quite a nice place, peaceful and relaxing..but not sure whether they provide coach to town

Continental Hotel - USD 46 (old hotel, good for quick business and short leisure traveller). The last time I checked, no Internet...not sure about now.

Hope this can give you some insight.

If you afraid of bored for 7 days..you can plan for 2D1N to Langkawi which is 3hrs by speed boat / 45 minutes by plane

Georgetown, Malaysia
7. Re: Is one week in Georgetown too long?

For a good budget hotel why don't you try Cathay Hotel in Leith Street. The red rock cafe opposite the hotel serves quite a variety of food. The room rate is about rm 78 only and it was recommended by lonely planet a few years back.

Delta, BC, Canada
reviews: 50
8. Re: Is one week in Georgetown too long?

Wow! Thank you everyone for the wealth of information. I'll certainly check all the lodging options and hope that the one we choose will be available at the time we're there.

Brisbane
reviews: 13
9. Re: Is one week in Georgetown too long?

Wow! What a great link for Timothy Tye. thank you Lise and Sabrina.

Jakarta, Indonesia
10. Re: Is one week in Georgetown too long?

Agree that Timothy Tye website is a great source of information.

I am going to penang end of this month and harvest a lot of information from his website.