We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driver for hire for a day

Which Georgetown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 60
Driver for hire for a day

Hi there

Just wondering if anybody knows of a reliable driver in Penang for hire. I noticed that some of the posts regarding this topic are quite dated so would like some more recent suggestions/tips on this. We are a family of 3 adults and 3 small kids and will be visiting Penang during the third week of August. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards

Clueless

46 replies to this topic
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Batu Ferringhi
reviews: 31
1. Re: Driver for hire for a day

Hi Clueless,

Many of the travellers on this forum reccommend Ocean Jupiter. I have not used them yet but we have booked with them for Dec for a party of 8 (4 children aged 3-10) and 4 adults. That was for a van with driver and they quoted RM 40 per hours for a minimum of 5 hours. They replied to my enquiry quickly..their website is:

http://oceanjupiter.com/

All the experienced posters on this site such as Travelling Mitch, Gaja, Lees and Sabrina I think can all vouch for these guys.

thanks

Ang

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 5
2. Re: Driver for hire for a day

We were in Penang last week. We are a family of 5 with 3 children aged 9 and under. We used Morgan and he charged us 25rm an hr. He was reliable, knowledgeable, honest and a lovely man. His number is 0174031294 and email umogan@gmail.com

Singapore, Singapore
3. Re: Driver for hire for a day

Well, we've been to Penang and back already. As suggested, we hired Mr. Mogan as our driver/guide. We were 3 adults and 3 children. It turned out to be a very wise choice indeed! His charges were RM25 per hour for a minimum of 3 hours. He even got his cousin to drive us to the Bukit Mertajam area when we wanted to go there as his cousin was more familiar to the area. What initially started out as a one-day tour with Mr. Mogan ended up as a 4-day personalised tour because he was THAT good. He was always punctual, very knowlegeable, very helpful and spoke English well. Being a native of Penang, he knew the best places to go to and to eat at. Knowing Penang intimately myself, I can vouch that he gave accurate and up-to-date information regarding Penang. One of the nicest aspect of our time with him was that he was willing to listen to us (as opposed to pushing us to do all the touristy stuff) and tailored the outings accordingly because we knew exactly what we wanted to see and what we did not. He only charged us RM50 to send us from our holiday apartment in Batu Ferringhi to the airport as a token of his appreciation to us for hiring him for those many days. As our token of appreciation, we tipped him big because we were really very, very happy with his services! I highly recommend him as a safe and reliable driver in Penang. His phone number and address are as mentioned by Lofoten95. Thank you, Lofoten95, for recommending him!

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 5
4. Re: Driver for hire for a day

So pleased to hear you used Morgan, he was such a lovely and knowledgeable man. My husband tried to give him more money and he wouldn't take it. He never pushed us to go anywhere just suggested and like you we ended up using him for 2 days in Penang. I hope he gets lots of work he earnt it!

Singapore, Singapore
5. Re: Driver for hire for a day

Yes, he refused to take extra from us as well but we managed to pass on the token to him via his cousin. A desperate measure on our part but it worked! :P Like you, I hope he gets more clients because he deserves it.

New York City, New...
reviews: 20
6. Re: Driver for hire for a day

Hi there, may I know if Mr Morgan whom the few of you had recommended speaks Mandarin? I'm looking for a Chinese-speaking guide.

Thanks!

KL
reviews: 39
7. Re: Driver for hire for a day

Morgan is Indian, I presume.

New York City, New...
8. Re: Driver for hire for a day

Thanks Awang!

Singapore, Singapore
9. Re: Driver for hire for a day

Hi Mintee

Mogan does speak a Chinese dialect although I am not sure which one. Maybe you could e-mail him and ask him. Even if he doesn't speak the dialect you are looking for, you could ask him if he knows of someone reliable who does.

New York City, New...
10. Re: Driver for hire for a day

Thank you!

Edited: 10:14 am, September 27, 2012
Reply to: Driver for hire for a day
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted